Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fee for an English Citizen returning to the UK after 10 years

I am a UK citizen, born in the UK, and my parents are both citizens. None of us have been back to the UK in 10 years.

I am just about to finish my year 12 schooling (A-level equivilent) in Australia, and my family are planning to move back to the UK in December 2017, for me to start university in September 2018. We cannot, however, afford to pay International fees upfront.

Is there a way that I could be classified as a home student, are there any special circumstances that I could use?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Eva,

The admitting university will determine your fee status and university websites state how fees are to be paid.

Read up on eligibility for student finance here:

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees. (Residence is more relevant than citizenship; it is to do with where the family taxes have been paid.)

Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

Hope this helps,

Similar questions