Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.


Hello, I am 28 years old, did my BA HONS from Southampton Solent Uni on Interior Design, now I would like to study LAW, what should be my next step?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Shahrin,

You will need to check with a few university Law departments whether you need to take a Bachelors Law degree (LLB), which would mean applying through UCAS, or whether your degree allows you to take the Senior Status (accelerated) LLB course.

It's possible you may be able to take a graduate conversion course - CPE or GDL - immediately, but you must check with the universities.

Take into account the funding implications and the length of time involved.

Once you have a LLB or a CPE or a GDL, you will have to progress to the vocational part of qualifying by taking the LPC and then a training contract in a solicitors office.

Please start by looking at the information on a few university websites and then contact a university direct for advice and guidance on the best route for you.

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Similar questions