Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

ExPat and 'Normal Residence'

I am a UK national currently on a temporary ExPat assignment in the US. I have been advised that because my role is temporary (up to 5 years) and that I am a UK national my daughter would be classed as 'Normal residency' and would be charged UK fees vs international Can you please confirm. Secondly on the same basis is she eligble for Student loans from UK system?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Colin,

She may be classed as a home student for fees if the family is living outside the UK unavoidable and temporarily because of a parent's employment.

You may need to make the case to the university.

Look at:
and in particular:

I am not sure if student loans would be available. You should contact SFE:

Universities decide fee status based on the guidelines, case law and detailed information provided by the applicant. Generally, a university will not make a determination until after an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

I hope this helps. (I have tended to assume that you are looking at England. Please be aware that the rules vary slightly between the four UK countries.)

Similar questions