Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for UK passport holder living in Switzerland wanting to study in Scotland or England

My daughter is Swedish/UK passport holder living in Switzerland.. she wants to study in Scotland or England. I am a UK passport holder. Will she have to pay tuition fees if she study’s in the UK? What must she do?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Paul,

Residence is the most important criterion in determining fees status, not nationality. How long have the family been living in Switzerland?

You should check with SAAS to find out whether she will be eligible for the EU fee in Scotland. There are issues around dual nationality (UK/EU):

For England, the rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for Home fees.

Look at:
and also

The UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions