Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

When to return to the UK so that my daughter is eligable for admission to University as a UK citizen/ national.

We are UK citizens who emigrated to Australia in 2010. My daughter was 6yrs old. She would like to attend university in the UK to complete her under graduate studies in media. I have heard that she would need to reside in the UK for so many years prior to commencing her studies. We always intended to come back home, but the time frame for my daughter would indicate when we are to do this.
Thank you for your help.
Kind Regards Jacquie Page
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Jacquie,

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for the home fee. Residence is more important than citizenship as it is to do with where the family taxes have been paid.
Take a look at our page on student finance eligibility here:

Also, take a look at the UKCISA website:
and the UK Government website at:

Good luck!

Similar questions