Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees be charged for a UK citizen, in a UK boarding school, whose UK parents live in Latvia

I am a UK citizen as is my mother, but m father is not. Will I be considered for local home status for university fees if my parents live in Latvia, but I am living at boarding school in the UK?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Nic,

Universities decide fee status based on the guidelines, case law and detailed information provided by the applicant. Generally, a university will not make a determination until after an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

You could contact SFE:

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees. Boarding school does not count as residence in the UK.

Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

It's not possible to predict definitively what decision a university will make.

Where were you born? Have your family lived in the UK?

Best wishes

Similar questions