Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Mechanical Engineering

Hi there. I came to the UK from India on Long term VISA and my sons came with me as dependents on my VISA. Currently they are studying in Year 11 (GCSE) and they are planning to go to Cambridge University to study Mechanical engineering starting in 2020. I would like to know what fees wee will have to pay, UK resident fees or international student fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Vivekanand,

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees. You can read more about eligibility for student fees here:

Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

Please look at:

We are not experts on VISAs, but I think the decision will depend on your status as residents. Do you have settled status? Look at the definition at:

Contact SFE (link above) or UKCISA for more advice.

I hope this helps and good luck to your sons with their applications!

Similar questions