We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy

I AGREE

Accepting offers

Feb 2019

My son has applied to four universities. He has had three conditional offers, one of which is an offer of ABB, two grades below the course requirements. He is still waiting to hear if he has an offer from his fourth university. If he does, this would be his lowest offer of BBB and also his first choice uni. So in effect the three other offers would require higher grades than his first choice uni. One of these three has indicated that because of his circumstances if he didn't meet the grades they would still consider his application favourably but, unfortunately, that uni is in his home town and he really wants to move away to study. If he puts this as his insurance choice (even though the grades at ABB would be higher than his firm choice) would he be obliged to go there if he didn't meet the grades of his firm choice but the other uni agreed to still take him?

CHOICES FIRM INSURANCE
Answer

If the CF (confirmed firm) university rejects your son and the CI (confirmed insurance) university accepts him, strictly speaking he must confirm the CI offer of a place. Read more about accepting offers. In practice, university decisions are unpredictable. Results time can be an opportunity to re-think. No university could force your son to attend. He could always decline the offer and go into Clearing. It may be worth him phoning a few universities to find out if they would consider him. It is worth waiting and hoping for a positive decision for the CF university. If one university is saying that they would consider his application favourably if he misses his offer, you could phone the others now to ask what they would do at Results time. This may not yield much information, but it could be worth a phone call.

Related questions

Declining insurance choice

Feb 2019

Preparing for the worst, if I don’t meet my firm choice but do meet my insurance, what’s the chances of being eligible for Clearing? I don’t really want to go to my insurance. Any advice or the best way to go around it?

Unconditional offer as insurance

Jan 2019

I got an unconditional offer from the University of Northampton, and I want to put it as my insurance in case I do badly on Results Day. Can I do this or will they withdraw that offer?

Need help?

Email us and one of our experts will get back soon.

ASK A QUESTION

Can't find what you're looking for?

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE IT?

SUBMIT

Thanks for your feedback!