Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British passport holder outside UK

I live in Egypt and I hold the British passport. I was told by my university that I will pay Home fees and am eligible to student loan. I just wanted more insight on this topic as I’ve been told I’m considered as an international. The university I’m interested in told me otherwise. Thank you.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Farah,

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees. Residence is more important than citizenship. You can read more about eligibility for financial support:

Look at:

Also look at the UKCISA website:

Universities decide fee status based on the guidelines, case law and detailed information provided by the applicant. Generally, a university will not make a determination until after an application has been received through UCAS and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

Universities can make different decisions as it is a matter of interpretation.

Similar questions