Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British National who has lived overseas, applying to English universities, Law

I was born in England, I have a British birth certificate, British Passport and a national insurance number. My whole family dating back centuries were all born and lived in England. I lived in England for 5 year before I moved to Australia at the age of 5 and have lived there for 14 years. I went back in 2017 to work for 4 months and I was treated as a British national because I am one but I cannot get into University in England as a home student only an overseas one which is really frustrating. It is my home I am 100% English I do not need a visa or anything like that. I want to go home to the UK with my family and continue my law degree so I can become a lawyer in England. If I do my degree in Australia it will be significantly harder for me when I move back to the UK to become a lawyer based off of my Australian degree. Why can I not just go home and study as a home student why did they have to make it so hard? What if my parents move back to work will that change the fact that I haven't lived there for there 3 year period?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Chloe,

Unfortunately, residence is more important than citizenship in determining fee status. You can read more about tuition fees and financial support here: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tu.../

You can certainly apply through UCAS to study for a degree in Law at a British university, but if you have not been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university you are likely to be assessed for the international fee. (It is to do with where the family taxes have been paid.)

The rules are at:

Hope this is helpful

Similar questions