Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Living Abroad UK citizen fees

We have been living in the UAE for 10 years. When looking at the home/EU rates it appears to apply for student finance purposes. My son is a UK citizen and I wondered if he paid upfront for the year fees is he eligible for the home/EU rates as no finance is needed?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Louisa,

The rules are that you should have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university to qualify for home fees. Residence is more relevant than citizenship as it is a question of where the family's taxes have been paid.

You can read about eligibility for student finance here:

You can also look at:

And look at the UKCISA website:

Universities make decisions on fee status after an application has been made and the offer of a place on academic grounds has been made.

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Good luck!

Similar questions