We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy



Jun 2019

We are a British family returning to the UK, and will be spending two years there while our son completes his A Levels. Since the home fee status for universities is based on three years of residency, is there any exception in our case? If not, would the international fee only be applicable for the first year until we reach the three year residency threshold?


Each university makes a determination on fees status on a case-by-case basis. So, it's a little difficult to say for sure how each university will decide. I think you could make a strong case for home fees. Were your children born in the UK, and did they spend some time in the country before moving overseas? Have a look at our advice on eligibility for student finance. I suggest you contact the relevant student funding agency, links at the foot of this page, as they may be able to help. It may be that two years' residence is sufficient.

Related questions

Distance learning for internationals

Apr 2020

Are there distance learning courses for international students (e.g. learning English as a foreign language) during the pandemic?

Transferring to a UK university

May 2019

I am currently attending the first year of an undergraduate course in my home town, sadly it has so far failed to meet my expectations. I am planning on applying for a different course at a different university abroad, specifically in the UK, and was wondering how this would...

Transferring credit

May 2019

I want to study Psychology at a London university, having studied the same degree in Germany. Before applying, I'd like to know if it's possible to transfer my credits?

Need help?

Email us and one of our experts will get back soon.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...



Thanks for your feedback!