Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Personal circumstances mean I can't go to university despite firming an offer

I firmed an offer, but at the start of the term I will not able to start my studies because something happened that changed my plans. Will I be able to tell the university I have replied to, that I am not able to start?
Answered by Alison Patterson
If you are talking about an undergraduate course and a UCAS application you have entered into a contract with the university whose offer you accepted firmly.

Universities understand that there are circumstances which make it difficult for student to comply with the offer. They do not want unhappy students. The university will likely release you if you ask. You will also need to notify UCAS of your withdrawal.


If you would like to defer your place and begin one year later you should discuss this with the university.

Similar questions