Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

International student eligibility for student loans in the UK

I'm Indian but have lived in Italy since I was 5 years old. I'd like to attend a UK university and I heard that usually the government gives you loans if you are from a European country. My question is...will you receive the loan only if you're a European citizen or is it enough that you LIVE in Europe? I've got Indian citizenship but, as I said, I live in Italy.
Answered by Alison Patterson
If you have Indian citizenship, not Italian, you will not be eligible for funding in the UK. This is because you are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country; nor have you satisfied residency requirements in the UK. You should also check with Student Finance England if you need further information by calling 0845 300 5090.

Similar questions