Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Changing university due to homesickness?

Can my daughter change universities after starting in September 2014? My daughter is feeling very homesick and isn't enjoying her combined course Publishing, but is enjoying Business management?
Answered by Alison Patterson
It is normal to feel unsettled and homesick at first. This does not mean she is at the wrong university. It will take time to make the adjustment.

But if she really feels she is on the wrong course, she should speak first to her tutors at her current university and explain her unhappiness. It may be possible for her to transfer to single honours in Business.

If she is determined to withdraw from her university she should not do so until she has a plan. She should approach a university nearer home and ask if they would consider her for a direct transfer. The decision will be made on academic grounds but will also depend on whether they have available spaces. If they do not she would have to apply again next year.

Similar questions