Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

University fees status for British citizen currently residing outside the UK but owns a property in the UK

I am a British citizen currently not residing in the UK. I have maintained a UK address and paid UK taxes the whole time I was away. I want to return to study in the UK but am I eligible for home fees status?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Fees status tends to be based on residency. If you can demonstrate that you were necessarily out of the country temporarily for work or your parent's work, for example, it may be considered favourably.

Universities make decisions on a case by case basis using the rules and I would advise you to contact a few universities direct.

Also read the information on the UKCISA website at:

Read the section on Ordinary Residence!

Similar questions