Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

How do you qualify for UK residency?

My 2 children are British Citizens that currently live in New Zealand. However, we are considering returning to the UK to live and I was wondering whether there was a qualifying period that we needed to achieve for the kids to pay the UK based fees for University rather than the international ones?
Answered by Alison Patterson
The quick answer is that fees status is based on residency rather than nationality and three years is the guidance for residency in the UK.  However, there are many caveats to this guidance and universities make their own determination on individual cases based on evidence collected by them when the offer of a place is made (or at the request of an applicant).
Look at www.ukcisa.org.uk/ for very helpful advice, especially at
You are unlikely to get a university to make any firm or binding statement on a specific case until a real application is received.

Similar questions