Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

I failed a year due to mitigating circumstances, do I need to mention this in future applications?

I failed my first year of undergraduate course last year due to mitigating circumstances. I am intending to reapply this year, but to a different university and course.

Do I need to mention I failed a year of a course due to personal issues in my personal statement?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Of course. You should give your full educational history on the UCAS form and this includes the last academic year - your course and the end of year results. This will appear in your academic record, not just the Personal Statement. You will also need to provide an academic reference by someone recently involved in your education.

If you really want a second chance, universities will be sympathetic but you must make it clear that you are serious about taking a degree.

Similar questions