- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- Clearing & Adjustment
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,455 international students in 2016–17
- The university's welcome programme begins before international students start: detailed pre-arrival information is provided and the university offers a meet and greet service for all new students arriving at Birmingham International Airport.
- Once students arrive for International Orientation, they are greeted by the Aston Aunties – second and final year student volunteers who welcome students to the university. Students get practical help on issues such as bank accounts, information on the university, social events to help them integrate with the course and flatmates, including the International Student Welcome. After the Welcome Week, Freshers' Week provides the opportunity for students to meet and socialise with the UK students.
- The Hub helps with any issues students may face or questions they may have and is the place students go for visa scanning and all immigration queries. The Hub has longer opening hours during the Welcome Week. Throughout the Welcome and Freshers' weeks, there is a help desk specifically for international students, run by the Aston Aunties in the Martin Luther King Centre.
English Language Requirements
- GCSE: grade C
- IELTS: 6.0–6.5; or TOEFL iBT: 90; or Pearson Academic: 60.
Accommodation for International Students
- International undergraduate students who put Aston as their first choice are guaranteed accommodation for the duration of their course. For subsequent years after their first year, they must apply by the deadline date for returning students.
- All accommodation is on the university campus. It is self-catered, with Internet access.
- International students are allocated with home and EU students.
- Students do not have to move out during the Christmas and Easter vacations. They move out at the end of the licence period after term three. However students can apply to stay on campus during the summer vacation and many international students do this.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.