Bath Spa University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Bath Spa University traces its roots back 160 years to the Bath School of Art. Situated in the South West city of Bath, the university offers stunning campuses, outstanding facilities, high-quality teaching and a friendly atmosphere. The university's aim is to help students become employable graduates with a global outlook.
UCAS Code: B20
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the University. This table uses the old UCAS tariff.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the University.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the University.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the University.Read more
The average staffing levels at the University.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the University.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 78%
- Postgraduate 22%
Mode of study
- Full Time 89%
- Part Time 11%
Where students come from
- UK 90%
- EU 3%
- Other 7%
- Male 33%
- Female 67%
Type of Qualification:
Student Services and Facilities
- The campus libraries offer a variety of study spaces and collections, blending print resources with over 200,000 e-books and 15,000 academic e-journals.
- The library's Writing and Learning Centre provides academic skills support including essay writing, referencing, statistics and exam preparation.
- Bath Spa University's Job Shop offers students a free in-house recruitment service, helping them find good quality, fair-paid, part-time employment (15 hours or less per week) while at university. Each year, well over 3,000 part-time and vacation jobs are advertised, for jobs both on campus and across the Bath area.
- Information, advice and guidance is available to assist students in applying for job vacancies.
- Employability can be greatly improved through part-time work, which is beneficial for future career prospects.
- The Careers and Employability team offers free one-to-one sessions to help students explore career and post study options, and workshops on the practicalities of securing a placement or graduate role. Online resources cover areas such as improving interview technique and psychometric testing performance.
- Regular industry events on campus promote placement, internship and graduate opportunities from local, regional and national employers. This includes weekly 'employer in the foyer' events, careers fairs and sector specific insight and business networking opportunities.
- Students have the opportunity to build on their employment skills with the Bath Spa Award.
- Bath Spa graduates are twice as likely to become their own boss compared to graduates nationally. The university runs a programme of events and funding opportunities to help students develop entrepreneurial skills and establish a successful self-employed career or business start-up.
- At Newton Park, a university Medical Service is provided every weekday during term-time.
- The Student Support Service provides a wide range of mental health advice and guidance, including one-to-one counselling, solution focused therapy, well-being advice and mindfulness workshops.
- Student Support provides advice and guidance for applicants and students who disclose a disability, specific learning difference such as dyslexia, and medical, mental health or autistic spectrum conditions.
- A two-day 'Transition to University' event is held during the summer for applicants on the autism spectrum; and a three-day early induction event, 'Get Started', for new students who disclose a disability.
- The team of disability advisers can help with the implementation of reasonable adjustments and assist students to access appropriate funding and other support. Please refer to the university website for more information or to contact one of the advisers.
- Bath Spa has an active union which organises a wide range of events and activities. The union supports over 70 different clubs and societies, a range of volunteering opportunities and annually hosts around 350 events.
- The union has been named in the National Centre for Diversity's list of the Top 100 organisations in the UK for its work to advance equality, diversity and inclusion for the past three years – winning their award for Students' Union of the year in 2017 and 2018.
- The Students' Union Sabbatical Officers work proactively to ensure the experience of students is the core focus of the university, working in partnership with and representing the views of students on most decision-making committees.
- Bath Spa University roots can be traced back to 1852 when, shortly after the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Bath School of Art was founded.
- Roger Deakins, cinematographer, discovered his love of photography while a student at Bath School of Art (now part of Bath Spa university) – in 2018, he won an Oscar for Bladerunner 2049.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Sir Howard Hodgkin – Turner Prize winning artist.
- Dame Anita Lucia Roddick – founder of the Body Shop, human rights activist and environmental campaigner.
- Mary Berry – television presenter and food writer.
- Jason Gardener – British Olympic champion.
- Glenn Brown – Turner Prize winning artist.
- Kate Garraway – television and radio presenter.
- Roger Deakins – Oscar-winning cinematographer.
- Salima Hashmi – artist and human rights activist.
- Tessa Hadley – author of novels, short stories and non-fiction.
- Axel Scheffler – artist and illustrator of the Gruffalo.
Bath Spa University, Newton Park, Newton St Loe, Bath, BA2 9BN