Bath Spa University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.20 / 5.00
- 2.52 / 4.00
- 0.30 / 1.00
- 54.5 / 100.0
- 72.8 / 100.0
- 87.1 / 100.0
- The university builds on a proud heritage, and started over 160 years ago as the Bath School of Art, formed shortly after The Great Exhibition of 1851.
- We have trained teachers at our Newton Park campus for 70 years.
- Bath Spa University gained degree awarding powers in 1992, university title in 2005 (previously Bath Spa University College) and research degree awarding powers in 2008.
Location and Transport
- There are three main campuses.
- Newton Park (all undergraduate degree subjects except art and design), which is located a short distance from the centre of Bath
- Sion Hill (Bath School of Art and Design), which overlooks Bath city centre.
- Corsham Court (a centre for postgraduate teaching and research) based in Wiltshire.
- Bath is just 9 miles from Bristol, 90 minutes from London.
- Alternative qualifications welcome.
- Bath Spa has around 30% mature students.
The 7,380 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 72%
- Postgraduate 28%
Mode of study
- Full Time 86%
- Part Time 14%
- UK 90%
- EU 3%
- Other 8%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
- Most courses are part of a flexible modular scheme, allowing students a good deal of choice.
- Joint degrees are a popular choice – a lot of subjects can be studied as part of a combined award.
- The university offers the opportunity to study abroad via Erasmus and an international network of partner institutions.
- 90% score for teaching quality in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2015.
- Consistently high student satisfaction scores in NSS - 90% in 2015.
- Outstanding reputation for teacher training – our primary and secondary teacher education programmes were rated Grade 1 by Ofsted in 2015.
- 22/24 was the average score for teaching excellence under the QAA scheme.
- Bath Spa was designated a National Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the creative and cultural sector.
- Low drop-out rate of under 6%.
- Bath Spa staff are actively engaged in research and scholarship that directly informs their teaching.
- All research activity is of direct benefit to students and is applied to what and how they're taught.
- In REF 2014 the university tripled its volume of internationally excellent and world leading research, since the previous Research Assessment Exercise in 2008.
The university's submission to REF 2014 featured research in:
- Art and Design
- English and Creative Writing
- Music and Performing Art
- Communication Culture and Media Studies
- A strong focus on creativity, culture and enterprise.
- Academic units which make up Bath Spa University: College of Liberal Arts, Bath School of Art and Design, and the Institute for Education.
- Outstanding Ofsted rating for the Institute for Education's primary and secondary teacher education courses.
- Ranked a top ten creative university by Which? University.
- The university ensures its graduates are socially engaged global citizens.
- Employability opportunities and skills embedded into the curriculum.
Award winning students and graduates including:
- Two Gold awards at Graduate Fashion Week.
- Nathan Filer, winner of the Costa Book of the Year award 2013.
- Stephanie Kitchen, winner of 2013 Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) and Textiles Institute Exhibition.
- Superb new academic building on Newton Park campus, with state-of-the-art teaching facilities, the best resources for teaching digital media-related courses in the south-west, equal to anything found at cutting-edge commercial organisations and broadcast companies, and approximately 1,800 square metres of Learning Commons. There’s even an outdoor amphitheatre!
- Newly refurbished and extended library.
- Plenty of open access computer workstations.
- Professionally qualified librarians with subject specialisms.
- Exceptionally beautiful, historic campuses.
- Extensive specialist art and design facilities on a dedicated campus
- Excellent environmental facilities, policies, and awards (including Fairtrade and Soil Association).
- 24/7 opening of study space in term time.
- Bath Spa's Student Support team can provide support, advice and guidance for students with a wide range of disabilities, long term medical or mental health conditions.
- Visit our website or email email@example.com to obtain information on our services.
- An active union with a wide range of events, clubs and societies and a busy social calendar.
- Many Bath Spa students volunteer whilst at the university, giving their time, energy and skills to help out local, national and international voluntary organisations.
- The Students' Union represents the student body and sabbatical officers sit on most decision-making committees.
- The main SU building at Newton Park was refurbished in 2014.
- Sabbatical officers regularly visit the other main campuses to hold workshops and events.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Bath Spa University's Job Shop is a completely free in-house recruitment service, which helps students find good quality, well-paid, part-time employment (15 hours or less per week) while at university.
- Last year over 3,000 part-time and vacation jobs were advertised.
- Vacancies are available both on campus and in the Bath area.
- Part-time jobs help students gain invaluable skills that are useful for future career prospects.
- Bath Spa's Careers and Enterprise team offer one-to-one sessions, small group workshops, mock interviews, psychometric assessments, presentations and e-guidance options available to give students the right kind of support, how they want it and when they want it.
- A range of industry events held on campus from, local, regional and national employers and business experts are offer great networking opportunities.
- Also available are innovative programmes which develop entrepreneurial skills and provide essential commercial know-how to establish a successful self-employed career or business start-up.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- Alongside the new academic building, Commons, at Newton Park a major student housing development was completed in 2014, providing accommodation for 561 students.
- The university's new city centre accommodation, Green Park House, will open in September 2016, a high quality development offering accommodation for 461 students in the heart of the city.
- Howard Hodgkin
- Glenn Brown
- Anita Roddick
- Peter Flannery
- Jason Gardener
- Kate Garraway
|Address||Bath Spa University
Newton St Loe