Bath Spa University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the University. These tables use the old UCAS tariff.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the University.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the University.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the University.Read more
The average staffing levels at the University.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the University.Read more
Bath Spa University can trace its roots back 160 years to the Bath School of Art. It has continued to build on its proud heritage to be a leading university in creativity, culture and enterprise. Situated in the South West city of Bath, the university offers stunning campuses, outstanding facilities, high-quality teaching and a friendly atmosphere. The university's aim is to help students become employable graduates with a global outlook.
- The university accepts a wide range of qualifications for entry to undergraduate programmes and welcomes applications from those with or studying for Access to HE qualifications.
- Offers vary between courses but, in general: BCC at A level; MMM in the BTEC Extended Diploma; and a minimum of 26 points in the International Baccalaureate.
- As part of the selection process, some courses require applicants to attend an interview or audition, or to provide a portfolio of work.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
- Many courses are accredited to professional bodies – for example BSc (Hons) Psychology is accredited by the British Psychological Society, BA (Hons) Business and Management has a number of accreditations, including Chartered Institute of Marketing and Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, depending on the pathway chosen.
Type of Qualification:
- At Bath Spa most courses are part of a flexible modular scheme, which allows students a good choice of modules to select from.
- If students want to study more than one subject, joint degrees offer flexibility – many programmes can be studied as a combined award.
- Students can also study abroad via Erasmus, or the university's international network of partner institutions with the Study Abroad programme.
Student Services and Facilities
- The new academic building on Newton Park campus includes some of the best resources for teaching digital media-related courses in the South West, with 2 multi camera TV studios, blue and green screen capability, HD and 4K-capable edit suites, dubbing theatres, a digital cinema and studio gallery.
- The various campus libraries offer over 4,000 e-books and 15,000 academic e-journals in addition to print books, journals, music scores, CDs and DVDs. A Writing and Learning Centre provides support with writing essays, reports, presentations, time management and exam preparation.
- Several hundred networked computers (both Windows and Apple Macs) available for use, many within the libraries, as well as in other study locations.
- A purpose built theatre and also an outdoor amphitheatre with 150 seats, which is used for a variety of performances, including outdoor theatre, acoustic gigs, orchestral concerts and opera. Students also have access to the university's arts centre and performance space, Burdall’s Yard, situated in the heart of the city of Bath.
- Sion Hill campus has studio space and extensive specialist art and design facilities, including workshops for wood, metal, ceramics, textiles, print, photography, plastic, fashion and digital technologies.
- Bath Spa's Student Support team can provide support, advice and guidance for students with a wide range of disabilities, long term medical or mental health conditions.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Bath Spa has an active union which organises a wide range of events and activities throughout the year, with over 70 different clubs and societies.
- Many Bath Spa students volunteer whilst at the university, giving their time, energy and skills to help out local, national and international voluntary organisations.
- The Students' Union represents the student body and sabbatical officers sit on most decision-making committees. Sabbatical officers regularly visit the other main campuses to hold workshops and events.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Bath Spa University's Job Shop is a completely free in-house recruitment service, which helps students find good quality, well-paid, part-time employment (15 hours or less per week) while at university.
- Last year over 3,000 part-time and vacation jobs were advertised, for jobs both on campus and in the Bath area.
- Part-time jobs help students gain invaluable skills that are useful for future career prospects.
- The Careers and Employability team offers free 1-to-1 sessions to help students explore career and post study options, and workshops on the practicalities of securing a placement or graduate role. Online resources cover areas such as improving interview technique and psychometric testing performance.
- Regular industry events on campus promote placement, internship and graduate opportunities from local, regional and national employers. This includes weekly 'employer in the foyer' events, careers fairs and sector specific insight and business networking opportunities.
- Students have the opportunity to build on their employment skills with the Bath Spa Award.
- Bath Spa graduates are twice as likely to become their own boss compared to graduates nationally. The university runs a programme of events and funding opportunities to help students develop entrepreneurial skills and establish a successful self-employed career or business start-up. In 2015, 93.7% of students were in employment or further study 6 months after graduation (HESA Destinations of Leavers in Higher Education).
Level of study
- Undergraduate 76%
- Postgraduate 24%
Mode of study
- Full Time 87%
- Part Time 13%
Where students come from
- UK 90%
- EU 3%
- Other 8%
- Male 32%
- Female 68%
- Bath Spa University roots can be traced back to 1852 when, shortly after the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Bath School of Art was founded.
- Sir Howard Hodgkin – Turner Prize winning artist.
- Dame Anita Lucia Roddick – founder of the Body Shop, human rights activist and environmental campaigner.
- Peter Flannery – BAFTA award winning playwright and screenwriter.
- Jason Gardener – British Olympic champion.
- Glenn Brown – Turner Prize winning artist.
- Kate Garraway – television and radio presenter.
- Roger Deakins – multiple Academy Award nominated cinematographer.
- Salima Hashmi – Artist and human rights activist.
- Mo Hayder – author of crime and thriller fiction.
- Axel Scheffler – artist and illustrator of the Gruffalo.
|Address||Bath Spa University
Newton St Loe