University of Bedfordshire
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.08 / 5.00
- 2.52 / 4.00
- 0.27 / 1.00
- 57.9 / 100.0
- 50.4 / 100.0
- 76.3 / 100.0
The University of Bedfordshire was formed by the merger of the University of Luton with De Montfort University's Bedford campus in August 2006. The University currently has 5 campuses: Luton, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury and Putteridge Bury.
- The university offers a wide range of courses which have differing entry requirements; the standard offer is usually in the range of 80 to 112 UCAS points from a minimum of two A Levels or BTEC QCF.
- Please refer to the university website for full details.
- Within the University of Bedfordshire Business School students can benefit from Practice Weeks, where students get the opportunity to work alongside businesses on real projects, learning key skills in confidence, negotiation, time management, team work, and planning, to name a few – all key attributes and behaviours that employers wish to see in their graduate recruits.
- Law students learn to present cases in the on-campus Moot Court; nurses hone their skills in simulation labs; and all students are encouraged and supported to make their experience of work and of volunteering a key part of their academic experience.
Type of Qualification:
- The university offers courses with a range of full-time and part-time study options including day, evening and weekend.
- A large number of degrees have a foundation year making them a 4 year course, ideal for students returning to education and not too sure on their options, or those who didn’t get the initial grades they need for higher education.
- Designed with an employability focus, the courses provide opportunities for integrated personal, academic and career development
- The university supports work placements for all students through internships and industry placements. Most undergraduate courses offer an optional fee-free professional practice year, giving students the opportunity to put the knowledge gained through their university course into practice.
- In 2016 the university introduced optional, credit-bearing employability units, for students to develop various transferable skills sought by employers.
Student Services and Facilities
- Luton campus: laboratories for psychology, sport and exercise science, biomedical science and forensics; business facilities include Business Pods and a law moot court; multi-camera HDTV and radio studios, and a dedicated art and design building housing industry-standard studios. Seven-storey library with new IT equipment. By 2018, the Luton campus will house a brand-new STEM building enabling the introduction of a range of new science courses covering nutrition, physics, biochemistry, chemistry, geology and mechanical engineering.
- Bedford campus: a physical education and sports science centre with sports hall, specialist sports and exercise science laboratories; the Gateway teaching and learning centre and the Campus Centre, housing a 280-seat theatre, dance studios, café and social space.
- Milton Keynes campus: the learning resource centre (LRC), student information desk and advice centre, plus café. Specialist electronics and telecommunications laboratories along with computer laboratory, and labs for graphic design and journalism students equipped with MACs.
- Buckinghamshire campus: contemporary clinical skills labs, a simulation suite and an on-site learning resources centre (LRC).
- There are multi-faith chaplaincies at the Luton and Bedford campuses. Both campuses have several multi-faith prayer rooms and the teams offer a warm welcome to students of all faiths, as well as those with none.
- All students have 24/7 access to BREO (Bedfordshire Resources for Education Online) – the university’s online learning environment enabling students to access lecture notes, discussion boards, podcasts, blogs and announcements.
- The University of Bedfordshire is committed to supporting applications from students with disabilities.
- The Health & Well-being Team (Disability Support) is available to discuss any learning support issues students may have and can provide services such as BSL interpreters, note takers, dyslexia screening, tuition and support with mobility on campus.
- The Learning Resources Centre (LRC) offers a range of support services and specialist software and equipment.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The Students' Union represents of all students at the University of Bedfordshire and acts as the main voice of students in meetings with the university.
- It provides independent welfare advice to students on anything from academic appeals, housing, finance and health, and also facilitates volunteering opportunities on campus and in the local community.
- Host to a number of exciting events both on and off campus including club nights, pub quizzes and sporting events, helping students organise and run sports and societies.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Luton, Bedford and Milton Keynes campuses are located close to their respective town centres, so part-time work is easily accessible.
- The award-winning Careers and Employability Service has a recruitment services team, essentially an in-house recruitment consultancy working on behalf of local employers and students, to place students in relevant, paid part-time work.
- The university also aims to provide as many internal, paid part-time opportunities as possible to students.
- From day one, our students can register with the recruitment services team and have access to information on all new part-time job vacancies that become available.
- The University's Careers & Employability Service provides a professional, high-quality information, advice and guidance service, aiming to help students build their employability skills and maximise their work experience opportunities in order to pursue their chosen career after university.
- Employability Advisors are linked to academic schools to provide specialist industry advice within each course, with daily drop-in services and bookable 1-to-1 appointments.
- The Careers & Employability Service includes dedicated placements team for students on sandwich courses and courses offering a professional practice year, and the recruitment services team which manages part-time and full-time job vacancies. The service also works proactively with a wide range of employers to develop engagement between employers, students and the university.
- Students can access expert careers guidance, interview and selection test preparation, advice on developing CVs and invitations to careers fairs and employer events.They can also gain the University of Bedfordshire skills award, The Edge.
- The university's EmployAble programme has been developed to support students in accessing all the initiatives across the university that will support them in building their personal employability skills and portfolio.
14,399 students in 2015–16:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 76%
- Postgraduate 24%
Mode of study
- Full Time 71%
- Part Time 29%
- UK 82%
- EU 6%
- Other 13%
- Male 38%
- Female 62%
- The University of Bedfordshire was established in August 2006, following the merger between the University of Luton and De Montfort University's Bedford campus.
- Although a new university, Bedfordshire has a rich heritage, with academic roots dating back to 1882.
- The university has over 20,000 students, from more than 120 countries.
- Adrian McDonagh – MD, Easy Web Recruitment.
- Jonathon Goodman – Joint Head of Chambers, 1 Gray’s Inn Square.
- Melvin Odoom – comedian, television presenter and radio presenter for KISS 100 Breakfast.
- Simon Hall – Director of EcoStyle Ltd.
- Dharam Barrett – Director, film maker.
- Maggie Alphonsi – English women's rugby international.
- Ben Hodson – award-winning, professional photographer.
- Thomas Wiggins-Wilson – analyst, Morgan Stanley.
- Sarah Jane Cass – Founder of TalentSJC and British talent agent and manager, Broadcast now.
- Tamara-Lee Notcutt – Senior Casting Director for Walt Disney.
|Address||University of Bedfordshire University Square Luton Bedfordshire LU1 3JU|