Birkbeck, University of London
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements
- Birkbeck organises an orientation programme at the start of the academic year, which includes sessions specific to international students.
- The International Alumni Friendship Scheme partners new students with alumni for ongoing personal support.
English Language Requirements
- Birkbeck accepts both the IELTS and Trinity College Integrated Skills in English (ISE) Test.
- The standard English language entry criteria is IELTS 6.5 or IELTS 7.0 (or equivalent) depending on the course.
- Exemptions to language tests may be given to international students from countries specifically designated by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
- Please refer to the college website for full details of English language entry criteria.
Accommodation for International Students
- International students who apply early have a guaranteed place within the University of London halls of residence, which are within 2–10 minutes' walking distance of Birkbeck.
- There are also private student halls of residence available, as well as private rented houses and apartments.
- Further information about accommodation can be found on the college website.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.