Birkbeck, University of London
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Birkbeck, part of the University of London, offers nearly 300 taught and research postgraduate programmes across arts and humanities, business and economics, law, science and social science. Taught courses run between 6-9pm with some available via distance learning. Birkbeck is the sixth largest provider of taught postgraduate courses for UK and EU students – some 30% of its students are on postgraduate programmes.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,905 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 26%
- Part Time 74%
- UK 84%
- EU 7%
- Other 8%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||45||595||635|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||40||135||170|
|Accounting & Finance||5||165||165|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||125||125|
|Communication & Media Studies||25||75||100|
|Geography & Environmental Science||10||80||90|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||75||75|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||55||55|
|Classics & Ancient History||5||35||40|
|Art & Design||0||25||25|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||10||10|
|East & South Asian Studies||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Birkbeck offers a limited number of bursaries and scholarships for postgraduate and mature students, supported by generous donations from alumni and organisations supportive of Birkbeck's mission.
- A 10% discount on tuition fees is available to Birkbeck alumni who have completed an undergraduate degree and are enrolling on any MA, MSc, LLM and MRes degree, starting in the autumn.
- 10% discounts on fees are available for members of a union recognised by the Trades Union Congress.
- Please refer to the college website for further details of financial support along with application forms.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- A number of organisations offer accommodation scholarships for which Birkbeck students are eligible.
- Goodenough House is a postgraduate-only hall of residence located minutes away from Birkbeck's Bloomsbury campus, which offers a number of scholarships to students residing in the hall.