- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Birmingham City University is a truly modern and dynamic institution, with staff, students and alumni from more than 100 countries. Courses are highly practical and career focused, with many accredited by professional bodies. Students gain qualifications that are valued by employers, giving them an important advantage in the job market.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
3,050 international students in 2017–18
- The university operates a free meet and greet service on specific dates at Birmingham Airport for all new international and EU students. New students are greeted at the airport by staff and current students, and taken to their university accommodation. The service is only available to students arriving at Birmingham Airport.
- The Orientation Programme for new international and EU students is an informative and fun introduction to living in the UK and studying at Birmingham City University. Students are invited to a number of events at the university where they can meet and chat with staff, current students and other new starters, and get help with any questions or problems they may have.
English Language Requirements
- The university accepts a range of English language qualifications as evidence of student's abilities. For the majority of courses, an IELTS of 6.0 overall (with no band below 5.5) is required. However, some courses may require a higher score.
- TOEFL and Pearson Test of English (PTE) qualifications are also accepted, along with many other internationally-recognised English language qualifications. The level required may vary by course.
- The university offers pre-sessional English courses to help students gain the relevant level of English to study at the university. Courses range from six to 16 weeks
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international students are guaranteed Birmingham City University accommodation if they apply on time. It is not always possible to allocate a student's first choice, but where possible the accommodation will be close to the place of study, provided an application is received by the relevant deadline.
- All halls are within walking distance, or a short journey by public transport, from the university's campuses. All accommodation is self-catered with Internet access and costs include heating and water.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Scholarships worth £1,500 are offered to students who enrol on particular courses in January and February.
- If students pay their tuition fees in full before travelling to the UK, or during their enrolment, they will be entitled to a £300 prompt payment discount, depending on which course they apply for.
- For non EU students, the university offers merit-based scholarships, giving students up to £2,000 based on their prior education.
- International students can seek support from the Visas and Immigration team who are there to offer a wide range of support with any related questions or issues students may have.
- Students will also have access to the Student Services team who are there to help them make the most of their time at university and offer support and advice on areas such as finance, health and well-being.