Birmingham City University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Birmingham City University is a modern and dynamic international university, with staff, students and alumni from more than 100 countries. Courses are highly practical and career focused, with many accredited by professional bodies. Students gain qualifications that are valued by employers, giving them an important advantage in the job market.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
3,000 international students in 2016–17
- The university operates a free 'Meet and Greet' service on specific dates at Birmingham Airport for all new international and EU students. New students are greeted at the airport by staff and current students, and taken to their university accommodation. The service is only available to students arriving at Birmingham Airport.
- The Orientation Programme for new international and EU students is an informative and fun introduction to living in the UK and studying at Birmingham City University. Students are invited to a number of events at the university where they can meet and chat with staff, current students and other new starters, and get help with any questions or problems they may have.
English Language Requirements
- The university accepts a range of English language qualifications as evidence of student's abilities. For the majority of courses, an IELTS of 6.0 overall (with no band below 5.5) is required. However, some courses may require a higher score.
- TOEFL and Pearson Test of English (PTE) qualifications are also accepted, along with many other internationally recognised English language qualifications. The level required may vary by course.
- The university offers pre-sessional English courses to help students gain the relevant level of English to study at the university. Courses range from six to 16 weeks
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international students are guaranteed Birmingham City University accommodation if they apply on time. It is not always possible to allocate a student’s first choice, but where possible the accommodation will be close to the place of study, provided an application is received by the relevant deadline.
- All halls are within walking distance, or a short journey by public transport, from the university’s campuses. All accommodation is self-catered with Internet access and costs include heating and water.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.