University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Birmingham is a leading, global top 100 university (QS World University rankings 2020) with over 6,500 international students from 150 countries; it is also a member of the elite Russell Group of UK universities.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
6,265 international students in 2017–18
- The International Students Advisory Service (ISAS) has many successful years of welcoming international students to Birmingham, with one of the largest international student populations in the UK.
- Live chat sessions allow students to talk to staff from the International Recruitment team about courses, entry requirements, funding, scholarships, accommodation and student life at the University of Birmingham.
- When students accept the offer of a place they will receive emails from ISAS with useful information on areas such as applying for their entry clearance visa, and preparing for life at the university and in the UK.
- The ISAS team run an International Welcome Week orientation programme to help students get to know the campus and city, meet other students and settle into life at Birmingham.
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary depending on the programme of study; please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- A place in university accommodation is guaranteed for all international students who are new to Birmingham; please refer to the university website for details, terms and conditions.
- A range of accommodation includes single study bedrooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, en-suite rooms with their own bathroom, as well as a selection of modern self-contained studios and apartments. All rooms have access to high-speed network and Internet access, and most rooms are within a 15–20 minute walk of the university's campus.
- Students at the Vale Village can take advantage of a meal plan, which provides a weekly balance of funds to spend at university food outlets at the Vale and across campus.
- International students share halls of residence with UK students for a truly multicultural experience. There is also a dedicated Global Community residence at Pritchatts House.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- To reward outstanding achievement and to help ensure that fears about finance do not constrain students, the university offers a number of prestigious international scholarships. Please refer to the university website for details.