University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- We encourage our students to be enquiry-led learners. You will learn to question, investigate, solve problems and overcome challenges. We lead the field in many of the emerging research disciplines of the 21st century.
- With all of the teaching, accommodation and many of the university’s residences situated on the same campus, you can be sure of a friendly community atmosphere to enhance your student experience.
- Birmingham is a major European city with first-class cultural, social and sporting facilities. It is a thriving city that embraces the broad ethnic mix of the region.
- As a University of Birmingham graduate, you will secure a competitive advantage in the job market.
- We provide a range of advice and support to international students, from English language courses to information about working in the UK.
- The university is a fully-licensed sponsor with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), and has achieved Highly Trusted Sponsor status under the UK's Points-Based System for immigration.
- Our alumni contribute as much to the reputation and excellence of Birmingham as our current students and staff.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- English language requirements vary depending on the programme of study.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- To award outstanding achievement and to attract students of the highest calibre from around the world, the University of Birmingham is pleased to offer a number of international scholarships.
- Your school or college may also offer specific subject-based scholarships.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- With one of the largest international student populations in the UK, we invest in specific support services so that you can relax and enjoy your time with us. The International Students Advisory Service (ISAS) has many successful years of welcoming international students to Birmingham.
- When you accept the offer of a place you will receive emails from ISAS with useful information on areas such as applying for your entry clearance visa and preparing for life at the University and in the UK.
- The ISAS team run a one-week orientation programme called International Welcome Week to help you get to know the campus and city, meet other students and settle into life at Birmingham.
Accommodation for International Students
- The university guarantees a place in university accommodation for all international students who are new to Birmingham. This is because we understand the importance of securing suitable accommodation, particularly when you are getting used to an unfamiliar environment and meeting new people. Please visit our website for details of the conditions involved.
- We offer a range of accommodation including single study bedrooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, en-suite rooms with your own bathroom, as well as a selection of modern self-contained studios and apartments.
- Students at the Vale Village can take advantage of Meal Plan, where you have a weekly balance to spend at our huge range of catering outlets at the Vale and all across campus.
- All university bedrooms have access to the university’s high speed campus network and internet access.
- International students share halls of residence with UK students for a truly multi-cultural experience.
- The majority of university accommodation is a 15–20 minute walk from our beautiful 250-acre campus.
- Students can apply for a 50 week contract on their accommodation, which can be extended on request, removing the need to move out during vacations.
Organisations for International Students
- The Guild of Students is home to over 200 clubs and societies including international groups which bring together students from particular countries or regions.
- The university does not have a campus overseas, but has a permanent presence in India, China, Nigeria, the US and Brazil, in addition to the global network of overseas representatives.