University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- We offer fully funded (up to UK/EU rate) PhD scholarships under our Global Challenges PhD Scholarship with a generous stipend.
- Fully funded Priestley PhD Scholarships for engineering and physical sciences projects in collaboration with the University of Melbourne.
- A variety of departmental and school based bursaries and scholarships are on offer each year for students with outstanding academic performance both for masters and PhD programmes.
- The University of Birmingham offers a wide range of subject areas for postgraduate research from History of Art to Astrophysics.
- The UK Research Excellence Framework (REF) rated 81.4% of our research activity as ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, confirming Birmingham’s position amongst the world’s top universities for research.
- Our University Graduate School (UGS) based at Westmere Postgraduate Research Hub provides a quality research and education environment with dedicated study spaces for postgraduates, training programmes and social activities.
- At Birmingham, you will join a stimulating postgraduate community of students and researchers. We offer over 600 taught Masters and a wide range of PhD opportunities. We have invested £25 million in student support and scholarships to enable you to get the most from postgraduate study.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
12,337 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 55%
- Part Time 45%
- UK 62%
- EU 6%
- Other 32%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||65||3395||3455|
|Engineering & technology||500||860||1365|
|Historical & philosophical studies||350||410||760|
|Medicine & dentistry||320||380||705|
|Subjects allied to medicine||50||495||545|
|Creative arts & design||55||85||145|
|Architecture, building & planning||10||110||120|
|Agriculture & related subjects||5||65||65|
|Mass communications & documentation||5||35||35|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.