University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- We offer fully funded (up to UK/EU rate) PhD scholarships under our Global Challenges PhD Scholarship with a generous stipend.
- Fully funded Priestley PhD Scholarships for engineering and physical sciences projects in collaboration with the University of Melbourne.
- A variety of departmental and school based bursaries and scholarships are on offer each year for students with outstanding academic performance both for masters and PhD programmes.
- The University of Birmingham offers a wide range of subject areas for postgraduate research from History of Art to Astrophysics.
- The UK Research Excellence Framework (REF) rated 81.4% of our research activity as ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, confirming Birmingham’s position amongst the world’s top universities for research.
- Our University Graduate School (UGS) based at Westmere Postgraduate Research Hub provides a quality research and education environment with dedicated study spaces for postgraduates, training programmes and social activities.
- At Birmingham, you will join a stimulating postgraduate community of students and researchers. We offer over 600 taught Masters and a wide range of PhD opportunities. We have invested £25 million in student support and scholarships to enable you to get the most from postgraduate study.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
12,337 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 55%
- Part Time 45%
- UK 62%
- EU 6%
- Other 32%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||65||3395||3455|
|Engineering & technology||500||860||1365|
|Historical & philosophical studies||350||410||760|
|Medicine & dentistry||320||380||705|
|Subjects allied to medicine||50||495||545|
|Creative arts & design||55||85||145|
|Architecture, building & planning||10||110||120|
|Agriculture & related subjects||5||65||65|
|Mass communications & documentation||5||35||35|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.