University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Birmingham is an original 'redbrick' university and founding member of the Russell Group. Students on postgraduate courses work alongside world-leading academics in a diverse, multicultural community of over 14,000 students from 150 countries.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
12,395 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 57%
- Part Time 43%
- UK 62%
- EU 7%
- Other 31%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||35||1995||2030|
|Accounting & Finance||25||670||695|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||80||155||235|
|Geography & Environmental Science||80||60||140|
|Physics & Astronomy||95||35||135|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||5||125||125|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||100||105|
|Theology & Religious Studies||85||15||100|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||5||70||75|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||15||35||50|
|Classics & Ancient History||30||15||45|
|Communication & Media Studies||20||20||40|
|Anatomy & Physiology||25||15||40|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||10||20||25|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||15||5||15|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||15||0||15|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||10||10|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||5||5|
|Russian & East European Languages||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and ScholarshipsThe university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed. Please refer to university website for details of scholarships.
- Birmingham Masters Scholarship (100 available): £2,000 for the brightest students in eligible subject areas.
- Birmingham Alumni Scholarship (50 available): £2,000 for outstanding alumni undertaking masters study.
- Global Challenges PhD Scholarship: fully-funded (up to UK/EU rate) PhD scholarships, with a generous stipend.
- Priestley Scholarship: fully-funded Priestley PhD scholarships for engineering and physical sciences projects in collaboration with the University of Melbourne.
- A variety of departmental and school based bursaries and scholarships are on offer each year for students with outstanding academic performance both for masters and PhD programmes.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- A range of accommodation types includes flats with study bedrooms and shared bathroom and kitchen facilities; flats with en-suite study bedrooms; and studio apartments with exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities.
- Accommodation costs include all bills, Internet access and basic contents insurance. All sites offer a 24-hour reception service open every day of the year, providing help when needed as well as peace of mind.
- International and EU students who are new to Birmingham are guaranteed a place in accommodation, subject to certain terms and conditions. UK students are welcome to apply for university accommodation however a place cannot be guaranteed.