University of Birmingham
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Birmingham is an original 'redbrick' university and founding member of the Russell Group. Students on postgraduate courses work alongside world-leading academics in a diverse, multicultural community of over 14,000 students from 150 countries. With over 600 taught postgraduate programmes and a wealth of world-leading research opportunities, students can widen their skills base, further their knowledge and boost their career prospects.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
12,205 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 58%
- Part Time 42%
- UK 61%
- EU 6%
- Other 32%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||30||1790||1820|
|Accounting & Finance||15||730||745|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||85||170||255|
|Geography & Environmental Science||85||65||150|
|Theology & Religious Studies||120||30||150|
|Physics & Astronomy||115||30||145|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||100||100|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||5||85||85|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||30||35||70|
|Communication & Media Studies||20||20||45|
|Classics & Ancient History||25||10||40|
|Anatomy & Physiology||30||5||30|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||15||10||25|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||10||5||15|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||15||0||15|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||5||5|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||5||5||5|
|Russian & East European Languages||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The university has a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships to ensure all students have the potential to succeed. Please refer to university website for details of scholarships.
- Birmingham Alumni Scholarship (50 available): £2,000 for outstanding alumni undertaking master's study.
- Global Challenges PhD Scholarship: fully-funded (up to UK/EU rate) PhD scholarships, with a generous stipend.
- Forest Edge Doctoral Scholarship: fully-funded (up to UK/EU rate) PhD scholarships, with an annual doctoral stipend, partially funded by a £1,050,000 grant from the Leverhulme Trust.
- Priestley Scholarship: fully-funded Priestley PhD scholarships for engineering and physical sciences projects in collaboration with the University of Melbourne.
- A variety of departmental and school based bursaries and scholarships are on offer each year for students with outstanding academic performance both for master's and PhD programmes.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- UK students are welcome to apply for university accommodation however a place cannot be guaranteed. International and EU students who are new to Birmingham are guaranteed a place in accommodation, subject to certain terms and conditions.
- A range of accommodation includes single study bedrooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, en-suite rooms with their own bathroom, as well as a selection of modern self-contained studios and apartments providing exclusive use of kitchen and bathroom facilities. Most rooms are within a 15–20 minute walk of the university's campus.
- Accommodation costs include all bills, Internet access and basic contents insurance. All sites offer a 24-hour reception service open every day of the year, providing help when needed as well as peace of mind.