Bishop Grosseteste University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Bishop Grosseteste University (BGU) is widely recognised for its consistently high employability and student satisfaction rates. It is located on a single-site campus in the heart of the historic city of Lincoln and boasts over 150 years experience of excellence in teaching. In case you’re wondering, Grosseteste is pronounced 'gross test'.
UCAS Code: B38
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 79%
- Postgraduate 21%
Mode of study
- Full Time 93%
- Part Time 7%
Where students come from
- UK 100%
- Male 18%
- Female 82%
Mode of study:
- Full time (49)
Student Services and Facilities
- BGU library offers proactive support, responding to the learning, teaching and research needs of the university.
- It ensures students can achieve their academic goals through the provision of high quality library services and facilities, with access to relevant high quality print and e-learning resources and other materials, as well as accessible learning environments to aid study.
- Staff support, advise and instruct library users in a friendly and efficient way.
- A Job+ vacancies board allows students to search for jobs and opportunities posted by companies and businesses – and to create email alerts for fast updates. Jobs include graduate-level jobs, part-time roles such as vacation or term-time employment, and also voluntary opportunities.
- The BG Futures team have contacts with organisations such as Voluntary Centre Services, the County Council and the NHS where students can find rewarding and mutually beneficial employment.
- Volunteer placements in the UK and abroad may be eligible for additional funding with the BG Foundation Fund.
- The BG Futures careers, employability and enterprise team strive to support all students during their studies to research and plan their career, and to improve their employability. They provide careers education, guidance and information via a number of services and activities.
- Current students – and graduates seeking their first job within two years of graduation – have the opportunity to have their CV checked over professionally.
- Advisers also offer guidance and tips regarding applications, including online application forms.
- BGU's student advice team co-ordinates health awareness campaigns and provides students with all local NHS information such as how to register with a local GP.
- Counselling services are available to all students via an independent private practice to ensure confidentiality and discretion.
- BGU's student advice team offers advice for students with disabilities, specific learning differences and other access needs.
- The team works with students throughout their studies to ensure they are receiving the proper care and attention regarding their specific difficulty.
- Campus accommodation includes accessible bedrooms and bathroom facilities.
Other services and facilities
- The student advice team are available throughout students' time at BGU (and even before they start) to offer free advice and support in areas including housing, social security benefits, student funding, debt, consumer issues and academic problems. Students also have the support of a learning development team and study skill tutors.
- BGU students have access to a wide range of computer facilities, regularly upgraded to guarantee the best and most up-to-date technology and systems available.
- Away from studying, students can relax at Curiostea (an Alice in Wonderland themed tearoom) and at the Venue cinema, with special screenings and offers just for students.
- The Bishop Grosseteste Student Union is a friendly community at the heart of BGU which is always on hand to support students, as well as raising awareness of various student welfare issues.
- Despite being a small union it has big ambitions. There are a wide range of established societies, such as poker, musicals and games, as well as various sports clubs which take part in national leagues. Students can easily set up their own club or society if they wish.
- As well as events and activities, the main role of the SU is representation, aiming to empower students and give them a voice – both within the university itself and at a national level. BGSU isn’t afraid to fight for its members.
- Established in 1862 as a diocesan training college, its name changed to Bishop Grosseteste College in 1962 to mark the centenary year.
- Awarded university college status in the summer of 2006 and university status in December 2013, becoming Bishop Grosseteste University.
- Named after Bishop Robert Grosseteste, a 13th-century Bishop of Lincoln.
- Second World War air-raid shelters are in the foundations of the main building at Bishop Grosseteste University – and medieval and roman archaeology have also been uncovered on its grounds.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
Jade Etherington – the most successful female British Winter Paralympian of all time, and the first Briton to win four medals at one Paralympics.
Bishop Grosseteste University, Longdales Road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire , LN1 3DY