- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Bournemouth University has a large community of international students, with over 2,600 students from around 120 different countries. It offers a range of preparatory programmes at the Bournemouth University International College, its dedicated, on-campus facility, run by Kaplan International Colleges.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,470 international students in 2016–17
- Welcome materials are shared before the start of the student's course, with information on preparations and what students can expect once in the UK. A Commencement Ceremony is held to welcome new international students to the university.
- Organised with the Students' Union, a range of events are held for all new students in the first few weeks. These include academic and social events, lectures and workshops, as well as orientation activities to help non-UK students adapt to the UK education system and UK life and culture.
- Students arriving in the UK can book BU's airport services to get safely to Bournemouth. For those living in BU-managed accommodation, the Res Life team help them settle in and offer ongoing support and guidance.
- A Global BUddies scheme helps connect students from around the world before they arrive at the university. After confirmation of a place and on registering for their course, students get access to BU systems including its virtual learning environment, with study materials and a preparation activity for their course.
English Language Requirements
Typical English language requirements include the following. Please note that higher levels will be required for some subjects and specific minimum component scores will also be applied.
- GCSE English grade C.
- IELTS (Academic): 6.0 (no less than 5.5 in each component).
- TOEFL iBT: 80.
- For research degrees, the university requires a minimum of 6.5 IELTS.
- Successful completion of the university's pre-sessional English for university study programme allows students to study for a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
Accommodation for International Students
- University accommodation is available on and off campus; the university's private accommodation service can help students who prefer to live in a residential house.
- Students may make arrangements to stay in their accommodation during vacations.
- For those living in halls or Unilet properties, the Res Life Team (student member of staff) organise social activities and are a friendly point of contact for queries about accommodation or what's on in halls, campus or town.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.