- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Bristol, founded in 1876, is one of the top 50 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020). The University is at the heart of Bristol, a historic, lively and green city in the south-west of England. It attracts the best and brightest students from more than 150 countries, creating a rich and exciting international community.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,835 international students in 2017–18
- A dedicated International Recruitment Team and Visa Advisers support international students throughout the application process.
- A meet and greet service is offered to students arriving by plane, train or coach, and the International Welcome Lounge helps new students settle in.
- International students are invited to attend a range of trips, tours and events in Bristol and further afield during their first term.
English Language Requirements
- Students who do not have English as their first language, or who do not have an internationally recognised English qualification, will need to provide evidence of their English language ability.
- Different courses and programmes need different levels of language skills. The required English language profile is shown on the course/programme page on the university website.
- The university offers pre-sessional courses in English language and academic skills, and courses for current students to improve their academic language.
Accommodation for International Students
- A place in university accommodation is guaranteed for all new first-year international students (subject to conditions); this includes international postgraduate students.
- The university's range of accommodation includes historic Georgian townhouses and large, modern residences, all a short walk or a free bus journey from the main campus.
- A small number of places are available for those with families or special requirements.
- The university also offers advice on renting privately.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- In 2019 Bristol is investing £1,000,000 to help the brightest and best international students come to the university.
- International students can apply for Think Big scholarships, covering from 25–100% of tuition fees, as well as a range of country-specific scholarships.
- Please refer to the University of Bristol website for more information on all scholarships and bursaries.
- The University of Bristol fully supports international students throughout their studies.
- The Careers Service offers advice, events and resources specifically for international students.
- Bristol SU supports a wide range of cultural, religious and country-specific societies, where international students can meet like-minded friends and share their culture with others.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.