Canterbury Christ Church University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- The university enjoys an excellent reputation for graduate employment. 95% of our most recent graduates were in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating (DLHE 2013/14). Nine out of 10 are in graduate level jobs three and a half years after finishing their studies.
- For a third consecutive year the university has recorded its highest ever overall student satisfaction level, at 87%, with improvements in other NSS categories also recorded.
- Nearly 90% of research at Canterbury Christ Church University has been recognised as world leading or internationally significant according to national Research Excellence Framework results (REF).
- Our main Canterbury Campus is based in a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- We have a reputation for excellence in teaching having been awarded four National Teaching Fellowships in recent years.
- We also have an excellent location with great access to international travel links – just one hour from London and two and half hours from Paris via Eurostar.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- All applicants for undergraduate programmes will need a minimum English level of IELTS 6.0 or equivalent. Some programmes require 6.5 or above.
- For postgraduate entry all applicants will need a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
- Applicants from the European Union to our International Foundation Year (EU) will need a minimum of IELTS 5.0 or equivalent.
- The International Foundation Year is open to students from the EU who have enrolled on an undergraduate degree at the university with an additional Foundation Year in order to develop their English language skills and content knowledge to enable them to begin their degree in the following year.
- The university offers a range of International Pathway programmes for overseas fee paying students looking to enter undergraduate and postgraduate study, via Canterbury International Pathway College, located on the main campus. Pathway programmes are suitable for international students who need additional academic or English language support before studying at undergraduate or Masters level.
- 10- and 6-week Pre-Sessional Course in Academic English Skills available for international students.
- Academic English Service that offers in-sessional English language support to non-native English language speakers.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
|Classroom||£11,000||£11,000 – 21,860|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Canterbury Christ Church University offers a range of scholarships for international students each year. Full details are on our website.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- We produce a 35-page International Student Welcome Guide which is emailed to all international students and also posted on our social media pages which are regularly monitored by current international students.
- We also produce a 28-page International Student Guide which is posted on our social media channels.
- Our social media pages also contain useful information with tips and advice on coming to study at Canterbury Christ Church University and can answer any query or concern.
- We hold two days of International Welcome Events including a Welcome Fair, workshops, orientation tours around the city and social activities providing opportunities to make friends.
Accommodation for International Students
- All first year international students are guaranteed accommodation in their first year of study with us if they have firmly accepted an offer of a place and submit an application form by the 31 July deadline.
- All accommodation is self-catering. Both St George's Centre and North Holmes Campus accommodation have food outlets on site for those students who would prefer to be catered for.
- Internet access is provided, and there are 24 hour computer labs on the main campus. There is also an award-winning iBorrow service in our Augustine House library, where students can borrow laptops.
- International students are placed evenly through the accommodation.
- All accommodation is within walking distance of the main university Campus in Canterbury.
- Leases for university accommodation run for the full academic year, from September to July, and students do not need to move out during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
- Accommodation is priced to suit a range of budgets according to the size, location and facilities available.
- The price per week for all rooms includes internet, all utility bills and insurance. We also offer Homestay accommodation.
Organisations for International Students
- We have an active Students’ Union located in our St George’s Centre in the heart of the city.
- We have a range of sports and societies and various other opportunities available.
- You can also volunteer in the local community on a range of projects and campaigns or if student democracy is more your thing, get involved with Union Council, become a Student Rep, or run in the elections.