- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Cardiff University welcomes a community of over 7,500 international students from more than 140 countries across the world each year to the friendly, multicultural city of Cardiff. Ranked best in Wales and in the top five UK universities for research quality (Complete University Guide 2020), its innovative courses are based on the latest discoveries and advances in each field.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,330 international students in 2017–18
- Cardiff University takes great care to ensure a smooth arrival and transition for all its international students, supporting new arrivals through an induction and orientation programme.
- Before students arrive, Cardiff representatives hold pre-departure talks in many countries, covering practical matters such as applying for visas, financial requirements, accommodation and travel arrangements, as well as what to expect after arriving in the UK. They provide an excellent opportunity to meet other students coming to Cardiff.
- In addition, students are sent a guide explaining enrolment and induction, as well as highlighting orientation events and welcome talks.
- Cardiff University offers a free coach collection service from Heathrow and Cardiff International Airport, in addition to a meet and greet service at Bristol Airport.
- Orientation and induction events include practical and safety talks for students and parents, guided tours of the campus and city, information fairs, social events and more. Please refer to the university website, where the times and dates of events can be found closer to the date of travel.
English Language Requirements
- For EU and international students: IELTS 6.5; for students studying GCSE English, a C grade is required.
- Pre-sessional English language programmes, ranging from 8–20 weeks in length, may be offered to students narrowly missing their IELTS requirement.
Accommodation for International Students
- International students are guaranteed a single-occupancy place in university residences for the full duration of their studies, provided they apply through the normal admission and allocation process, and re-apply for accommodation each year through the overseas returners process. Accommodation for couples and families is limited, and therefore not guaranteed.
- The university has a wide range of residences, each with different facilities. All study bedrooms are connected to the university network with high-speed Internet and wireless access, and the campus is Wi-Fi enabled. Most university residences are near to the university, enabling students to walk or cycle to their classes.
- International students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter holidays. There is also the option for students to book university residences during the summer holiday.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Cardiff University offers a range of international scholarships across undergraduate and postgraduate levels of study, to attract and reward the best students; please refer to the university website for details.
- A dedicated International Student Support Centre has specialists who can advise on visas, housing, finances, work and more. All students are allocated a personal tutor who can assist with academic or personal issues throughout their studies. International students also have access to in-sessional English language support.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.