- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Cardiff University welcomes a community of over 7,000 international students from across the world each year to the friendly and multi-cultural city of Cardiff. Ranked best in Wales, it is also in the top five UK universities for research quality (The Complete University Guide 2019).
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,185 international students in 2016–17
- Cardiff University takes great care to ensure a smooth arrival and transition for all its international students.
- Before students arrive, Cardiff representatives hold local pre-departure talks in many countries, covering practical matters such as applying for visas, financial requirements, accommodation and travel arrangements, as well as what to expect after arriving in the UK. They provide an excellent opportunity to meet other students coming to Cardiff.
- In addition to pre-departure briefings, students are sent a guide which explains enrolment and induction as well as highlighting orientation events and welcome talks.
- Cardiff University offers a free coach collection service from Heathrow and Cardiff International Airport.
- For the dates and times of these events, please refer to the university website closer to the date of travel.
English Language Requirements
- For EU and international students, the minimum requirement is usually IELTS 6.5; for students studying GCSE English, a C grade is required.
- Pre-sessional English language programmes, ranging from eight to 20 weeks in length, may be offered to students narrowly missing their IELTS requirement.
- Some programmes may specify a higher English language standard – please refer to the university website for details of individual course requirements.
Accommodation for International Students
- International students are guaranteed a single-occupancy place in university residences for the full duration of their studies, provided they apply through the normal admission and allocation process, and re-apply for accommodation each year through the overseas returners process. As couple and family accommodation is limited, this type of accommodation is not guaranteed.
- The university has a wide range of residences, each with different facilities. All study bedrooms are connected to the university network with high-speed Internet and wireless access, and the campus is Wi-Fi enabled.
- Most university residences are near to the university, enabling students to walk or cycle to their classes.
- International students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter holidays. There is also the option for students to book university residences during the summer holiday.
- Cardiff has been named as the UK's cheapest student city in the 2017 Natwest Student Living Index; costs are inclusive of rent, books, travel, food, telephone/TV license, social/recreational activities and laundry.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.