- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Cardiff University is a member of the elite Russell Group University.
- Cardiff is one of the most affordable university cities in the UK. Rent in Cardiff is on average, £45 cheaper a week than London.
- Being both a compact and flat city, transport costs are lower as students do not need to use buses and taxis to get around.
- Safe, compact and friendly city – the university has two campuses, one in the heart of the city centre and the other based in the University Hospital, a mile north of the city centre. Both sites have university accommodation located within walking distance.
- Cardiff is a safe and friendly city renowned for its friendly and welcoming people.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- For EU and international students, the minimum requirement is usually IELTS 6.5.
- For students studying GCSE English, a C grade is required.
- Twelve, ten or eight week pre-sessional English language programmes may be offered to students narrowly missing their IELTS requirement.
- Some programmes may require a higher English language requirement – students are encouraged to check individual School websites before applying.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- There are a number of scholarships and bursaries for international students, including subject-specific scholarships and non-country specific awards.
- Our website contains the most up-to-date list of funding available.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Arriving at a new place is understandably a challenging and exciting experience for international students. With this in mind, Cardiff University takes great care to ensure a smooth arrival and transition for all our international students.
- Before students arrive, Cardiff representatives hold local pre-departure briefings in many countries. These talks cover practical matters such as applying for visas, financial requirements, accommodation and travel arrangements. The briefings also cover what to expect after arriving in the UK and is an excellent opportunity to meet other students who are also coming to study in Cardiff. In addition to pre-departure briefings, students are sent a guide which explains enrolment and induction as well as highlighting orientation events and welcome talks.
- Cardiff University offers a free coach collection service from Heathrow and Cardiff International Airport. For dates and times of these events, it would be useful to visit our website closer to the date of travel.
Accommodation for International Students
- International students are guaranteed a single-occupancy place in university residences for the full duration of their studies. This is provided they apply through the normal admission and allocation process, and re-apply for accommodation each year through the overseas returners process.
- The university has a wide range of residences, each with different facilities.
- All study bedrooms are connected to the university network with high-speed internet and wireless access. The university is a wi-fi enabled campus, so internet access is easily available outside your accommodation.
- Most of the University residences are within walking distance of the university, and students are able to walk or cycle to their classes every day.
- International students are assigned places in university Residences evenly, and not clustered together.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter holidays.
- There is an option for students to book university residences during the summer holiday.
- Cardiff boasts one of the lowest living costs in the UK at around £203 per week/£868 per month/£7,841 for a 9-month period. These costs are inclusive of rent, books, travel, food, telephone/TV license, social/recreational activities and laundry.
Organisations for International Students
- Afro-Caribbean Society
- Asian Society
- Bangladesh Society
- Bulgarian Society
- Canadian Society
- Chinese Students ‘ Society
- French Society
- German Society
- Hong Kong Society
- Iranian Society
- Iraqi Society
- Islamic Society
- Japanese Society
- Kenyan Society
- Malaysian Students’ Society
- Nigerian Society
- Pakistani Society
- Spanish and Italian Society
- YUVA – Youth of India