- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Cardiff University offers a thriving community of over 8,500 postgraduate students from more than 100 countries. Its research intensive profile ensures that teaching stays current and relevant, preparing students for either an academic or vocational career. The Doctoral Academy provides extensive training and support to the university's many research students.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
8,455 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 66%
- Part Time 34%
- UK 56%
- EU 6%
- Other 37%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||50||630||685|
|Accounting & Finance||0||595||595|
|Communication & Media Studies||40||315||355|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||35||275||310|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||70||215||285|
|Physics & Astronomy||70||20||90|
|Theology & Religious Studies||15||40||55|
|Librarianship & Information Management||5||45||50|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||40||40|
|Geography & Environmental Science||5||30||30|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||5||25||25|
|Classics & Ancient History||10||10||20|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Cardiff University offers a range of funding opportunities for both taught and research postgraduates.
- The university is part of 12 doctoral training initiatives spanning ARHC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC and the Wellcome Trust, and receives funding for some 200 PhD places every year.
- The Master's Excellence Scholarship scheme offers a £3,000 tuition fee discount to eligible courses in 2019.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Overseas/EU postgraduate students arriving in September are guaranteed a single-occupancy place in university residences, provided they meet certain deadlines.