University of Central Lancashire
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.03 / 5.00
- 2.51 / 4.00
- 0.24 / 1.00
- 63.5 / 100.0
- 68.1 / 100.0
- 79.5 / 100.0
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is a leading modern university, recognised in the QS World Rankings, with roots stretching back to 1828.
- Centred in the heart of Preston, England, UCLan also has campuses in Cyprus, Cumbria and Burnley as well as numerous international partnerships.
- Entry requirements vary depending on the individual course. Some courses require students to achieve specific grades and, in some cases, in certain subjects. Many courses require the equivalent of 3 A2 level qualifications.
- UCLan accepts all A level subjects for admission purposes; this includes linear and modular A levels and General Studies. Normally at least 5 passes at grade C or above are required; Grade 4 if your GCSE is attained after 2017.
- Foundation Entry Degree courses are designed for students who don’t have the necessary formal qualifications for their chosen programme at undergraduate level. This route is offered for almost all degree subjects.
- UCLan welcomes all adult learners and will take into consideration previous skills and experience instead of the normal entry requirements.
- Please refer to the university website for details of entry requirements for specific courses.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
- The university ensures courses are relevant to employers by embedding employability skills into every degree course, using professionally-qualified practitioners with industry experience and, where appropriate, seeking industry-accreditation.
Type of Qualification:
- Electives are used to broaden the curriculum and offer students greater choice.
- Opportunities include part-time, evening and distance learning, with a mix of online and on-campus learning.
- A number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses offer January start dates.
- Students may have the opportunity to study part of their course at UCLan Cyprus or at partner organisations in countries such as China, the Middle East or the USA.
- The university has links with employers such as Sony, BAe Systems and Apple as well as thousands of smaller companies, through which students can source structured work experience placements in the UK and abroad.
Student Services and Facilities
- The university has a full range of support services including a one-stop student information centre 'The i,' a free counselling service, a medical centre allowing students to access GPs and nurses, and a multi-faith centre.
- A pre-school centre provides professional childcare.
- The university also has an outdoor television set on campus allowing students to learn practical media skills in an industry standard environment. The set features the external frontage of a pub, a shop and two houses. A pavement and a road have also been created which will allow the students to film external scenes using a range of props, vehicles, and even a green screen.
- The Disability Services team offers a range of support for any disability issues from application to graduation.
- The university is an accessible campus: a detailed guide for UCLan is available on the DisabledGo website.
- There are well-established staff and student disabled network groups.
- Please refer to the university website or contact the Disability Services team for further details.
- The award-winning UCLan Students' Union is ranked in the top unions in the North West.
- A large and diverse range of sports clubs, societies, Give It A Go activities programme, The Inspire Programme training sessions, and the Get In2 sport programme ensures that students have plenty of opportunity to get involved, have fun and make new friends.
- Students can get involved in the Pulse media, the Union’s newspaper, and radio and TV stations.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The university's Opportunities Centre advertises part-time and full-time jobs to fit in and around students' timetables as well as volunteering opportunities.
- The Preston campus is close to the city centre, providing students with plenty of opportunities for part-time work in local shops, cafes and bars.
- The university also provides paid internships within a number of on-campus settings.
The university's careers service offers careers information and advice to current students, graduates and postgraduates, including:
- 1 to 1 mock interviews.
- CV drop-in clinic.
- Events, workshops and seminars.
- Online guidance.
- Psychometric testing.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 83%
- Postgraduate 17%
Mode of study
- Full Time 72%
- Part Time 28%
Where students come from
- UK 90%
- EU 2%
- Other 8%
- Male 43%
- Female 57%
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) was founded in 1828 as the Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge, becoming a university in 1992.
- The main campus is in the city of Preston, at the heart of Lancashire; UCLan has further campuses at Westlakes in West Cumbria (focusing on nuclear and energy-related research programmes), Burnley and Cyprus as well as strategic partnerships in China and Mauritius.
- The university now has an international community of around 38,000 staff and students.
- Victoria Derbyshire – Broadcaster, BBC Five Live.
- Simon Kellner – former editor of the Independent.
- Richard Frediani – Programme editor of ITV’s early evening news programme and BAFTA winner.
- Carl Lygo – CEO and Head of BPP University College.
- Dr Waqar Azmi OBE – Chairman of Waterhouse Consulting Group and EU Ambassador of Intercultural Dialogue.
- Brent Sadler – award-winning, internationally recognised Journalist and former CNN Bureau Chief to the Middle East.
- Ranvir Singh – Broadcaster and news presenter on ITV’s Daybreak.
- Asif Iqbal, MBE – Public Appointment Ambassador, Equalities Office and Cabinet Office.
- Mark Gill – Director and Oscar Academy Award nominee.
|Address||University of Central Lancashire