University of Central Lancashire
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is a leading modern university with roots stretching back to 1828. Centred in the heart of Preston, England, UCLan also has campuses in Cyprus, Cumbria and Burnley as well as 120 international partnerships.
UCAS Code: C30
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 78%
- Postgraduate 22%
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
Where students come from
- UK 90%
- EU 2%
- Other 8%
- Male 42%
- Female 58%
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The library is open and staffed 24/7 in term time. It offers comfortable, flexible study spaces with a wealth of learning resources, extensive collections of information sources and expert help and support from library staff.
- It is home to books, journals, more than 700 computers and Apple Macs plus other media, along with study facilities including bookable rooms for group use.
- The library also provides access to electronic journals and information services, while document delivery services enable students to get hold of published texts not available in the university's collections.
- The university's Opportunities Centre advertises part-time and full-time jobs to fit in and around students' timetables, as well as volunteering opportunities.
- The Preston campus is close to the city centre, providing students with plenty of opportunities for part-time work in local shops, cafés and bars.
- The university also provides paid internships within a number of on-campus settings.
- The university's careers service offers careers information and advice to current students and graduates. Services include one-to-one mock interviews; CV drop-in clinics; events, workshops and seminars; psychometric testing, and also online guidance and resources.
- The university has an on-site Medical Centre with access to GPs, nurses and a pharmacy.
- Specialist mental health and well-being teams provide access to a range of one-to-one or drop-in services.
- Well@UCLan information sessions help new students settle into life at the university.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- Student Services provides a range of counselling, well-being and mental health services to support students across all years of study. UCLan also has extensive collaborative arrangements with external services to support more specialist requirements.
- The Inclusive Support Team offers a range of services for students with disabilities from application through to graduation.
- The university is an accessible campus: a detailed guide for UCLan is available on the AccessAble website.
- There are well-established staff and student disabled network groups. Please refer to the university website or contact the Inclusive Support team for further details.
Other services and facilities
- The Student Information Centre enables access to a full range of support services; the university also offers a pre-school, financial support service and multi-faith centre.
Specialist facilities include: a mutli-million pound analytical unit with state-of-the-art equipment, where undergraduates can work alongside researchers and professional support staff; and clinical simulation suites, staffed by former NHS professionals, with cutting edge anatomage facilities, brain imaging laboratory and access to Virtual Reality Laboratories to assist with studies online.
- The university has a fully-equipped sound stage including industry-scale green screen facilities, high-end recording facilities incorporating a Neve mixing desk, full darkroom facilities, professional photographic studios, materials testing laboratories, and Hydra and Creative simulation suites.
- UCLan Students' Union offers a large and diverse range of sports clubs, societies, Give It A Go activities and a recreational sports programme. Students get plenty of opportunities to get involved, have fun and make new friends.
- Students can also get involved in Pulse media, which includes a newspaper, radio and TV stations.
- Each year, the Students' Union holds the Golden Roses Awards; these celebrate and recognise the dedication of university staff and services to ensure the best student experience.
- The University of Central Lancashire was founded in 1828 as the Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge, becoming a university in 1992.
- The main campus is in Preston, at the heart of Lancashire, with campuses also at Westlakes in West Cumbria (focusing on medicine), Burnley and Cyprus – plus strategic partnerships in China and Mauritius.
- The university now has an international community of around 38,000 staff and students.
- The University of Central Lancashire relocated nearly 650 medical students and staff from the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, displaced after Hurricane Irma hit their campus on the Dutch-French island of Sint Maarten in September 2017. UCLan won four awards for this effort.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Victoria Derbyshire – broadcaster, BBC Five Live.
- Simon Kellner – former editor of The Independent.
- Richard Frediani – programme editor of ITV's early evening news and a BAFTA winner.
- Carl Lygo – CEO and head of BPP University College.
- Dr Waqar Azmi OBE – chair of Waterhouse Consulting Group and EU ambassador of Intercultural Dialogue.
- Brent Sadler – internationally recognised, award-winning journalist and former CNN bureau chief to the Middle East.
- Ranvir Singh – broadcaster and ITV news presenter, UCLan chancellor.
- Asif Iqbal, MBE – public appointment ambassador, Equalities Office and Cabinet Office.
- Mark Gill – director and Oscar Academy Award nominee.
- Mandip Gill – actress in the BBC drama, Dr Who.
University of Central Lancashire, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2HE