- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) is a leading modern university with roots stretching back to 1828. Centred in the heart of Preston, England, UCLan also has campuses in Cyprus, Cumbria and Burnley as well as numerous international partnerships.
UCAS Code: C30
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 81%
- Postgraduate 19%
Mode of study
- Full Time 73%
- Part Time 27%
Where students come from
- UK 90%
- EU 3%
- Other 8%
- Male 41%
- Female 59%
Student Services and Facilities
- The library is open 24/7, providing comfortable, flexible study spaces with a wealth of learning resources, extensive collections of information sources and expert help and support from library staff.
- It is home to books, journals, more than 700 computers and Apple Macs, and other media as well as study facilities, including bookable rooms for group use.
- The library also provides access to electronic journals and information services, while document delivery services enable students to get hold of published texts not available in the university's collections.
- The university's Opportunities Centre advertises part-time and full-time jobs to fit in and around students' timetables as well as volunteering opportunities.
- The Preston campus is close to the city centre, providing students with plenty of opportunities for part-time work in local shops, cafés and bars.
- The university also provides paid internships within a number of on-campus settings.
The university's careers service offers careers information and advice to current students and graduates, including:
- One-to-one mock interviews.
- CV drop-in clinic.
- Events, workshops and seminars.
- Online guidance and resources.
- Psychometric testing.
- The university has an on-site Medical Centre with access to GPs, nurses and a pharmacy.
- Specialist mental health and well-being teams provide access to a range of one-to-one or drop-in services.
- Well@UCLan information sessions help new students settle in to life at the university.
- The counselling team works collaboratively with mental health advisors to provide a range of services, matched specifically to student need. This may include person-centred counselling, cognitive behavioural therapy or mental health assessments.
- The Inclusive Support Team offers a range of services for students with disabilities, starting from application and provided through to graduation.
- The university is an accessible campus: a detailed guide for UCLan is available on the DisabledGo website.
- There are well-established staff and student disabled network groups. Please refer to the university website or contact the Inclusive Support Team for further details.
Other services and facilities
- The Student Information Centre enables access to a full range of support services.
- The university also offers a pre-school, financial support service and multi-faith centre.
- Specialised course facilities include an on-campus outdoor television set for students to hone practical media skills in an industry standard environment. The outdoor 'street' features the external frontage of a pub, a shop and two houses, including a pavement and road; students can film external scenes using a range of props, vehicles, and even a green screen.
- UCLan Students' Union offers a large and diverse range of sports clubs, societies, Give It A Go activities and a recreational sports programme. Students get plenty of opportunities to get involved, have fun and make new friends.
- Students can also get involved in Pulse media, which includes a newspaper, radio and TV stations.
- The University of Central Lancashire was founded in 1828 as the Institution for the Diffusion of Knowledge, becoming a university in 1992.
- The main campus is in Preston at the heart of Lancashire, with campuses also at Westlakes in West Cumbria (focusing on nuclear and energy-related research programmes), Burnley and Cyprus – plus strategic partnerships in China and Mauritius.
- The university now has an international community of around 38,000 staff and students.
- The University of Central Lancashire is the UK's leading provider of British Sign Language education. Over 60% of British Sign Language interpreters working in the UK have been taught on UCLan courses.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Victoria Derbyshire – broadcaster, BBC Five Live.
- Simon Kellner – former editor of the Independent.
- Richard Frediani – programme editor of ITV’s early evening news and a BAFTA winner.
- Carl Lygo – CEO and Head of BPP University College.
- Dr Waqar Azmi OBE – Chair of Waterhouse Consulting Group and EU Ambassador of Intercultural Dialogue.
- Brent Sadler – internationally recognised, award-winning journalist and former CNN Bureau Chief to the Middle East.
- Ranvir Singh – broadcaster and ITV news presenter, UCLan Chancellor.
- Asif Iqbal, MBE – Public Appointment Ambassador, Equalities Office and Cabinet Office.
- Mark Gill – director and Oscar Academy Award nominee.
University of Central Lancashire, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2HE