University of Chester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Chester is proud of its cosmopolitan international community drawn from over 130 countries worldwide, with #OneWorldOneChester celebrating students' heritage and diversity. Staff and student communities engage in activities to promote greater understanding and interaction with other cultures.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,000 international students in 2017–18
- Moving overseas can be an exciting and stressful time. The university's International Student Arrival Service helps students prepare, with a pre-departure checklist of important things to think about before leaving for the UK.
- The university provides a collection service from Manchester or Birmingham Airports for international students studying at any of its campuses.
- An International Student Induction Programme helps students settle into the university and surrounding area and make new friends. Activities include a welcome event, help with enrolment, setting up a UK bank account and more. Students also get a welcome pack with information such as campus and area maps, how to register with a local doctor and dentist, application form for a student railcard, a UK SIM card, and how to apply for a National Insurance number.
English Language Requirements
- For undergraduate study: IELTS 6.0 (with no element below 5.5).
- For postgraduate study: IELTS 6.5 (with no element below 5.5).
- The university also accepts any other English Language test approved by the UK Home Office (such as Trinity); and a range of other country-specific English language qualifications such as International Baccalaureate, WAEC, NECO, Indian Standard XII, etc.
- Prospective students who secure lower IELTS scores may be eligible for a pre-sessional English Language course, of varying lengths. Students who are unable to attend an IELTS test can book onto a University of Chester English Language Test conducted via Skype to meet this requirement.
Accommodation for International Students
- The University guarantees accommodation for all new international students whose accommodation applications forms are received by the stated deadline.
- Accommodation can be semi-catered or self-catered. All student accommodation is safe and secure with 24-hour security and CCTV in operation. International students do not have to move out during holiday breaks.
- University accommodation is not available for international students' families; however, the university can offer advice on available private sector accommodation.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Chester offers generous scholarships for both undergraduate and postgraduate study, providing a significant reduction to the published headline tuition fees. Students will automatically be considered for these scholarships when submitting an application; any award given will be shown on their offer letter.
- The University has a number of merit-based and country-specific scholarships available; please refer to the university website for details.