This course will prepare you for work in the fast-paced world of emergency care, giving you the skills you need to work as a paramedic. This is not the only career path open to you though, as you can also work in other areas of the healthcare sector, such as minor injuries units or GP surgeries, or even take your skills to the private sector, for example by working on an oil rig. If you’re looking for a worthwhile and rewarding career, you won’t find many that have more to offer than one that involves saving people’s lives. That’s why our Paramedic Science course fully prepares you to become a confident and competent healthcare professional. As well as providing emergency care for critically ill patients, you will develop advanced assessment and decision-making skills so you can decide the appropriate referral method for less seriously unwell patients. Featuring an equal spilt of theory and practical elements, the curriculum is taught in our state-of-the-art training facilities, complete with simulation suites.
On this course you will be taught by a range of staff with relevant expertise and knowledge appropriate to the content of the unit. This will include senior academic staff, qualified professional practitioners, demonstrators and technicians. You will be assessed by coursework culminating in your final year research project, and you will also undertake group work and written exams. The assessment methods for each unit can be found in the programme specification for your course. You will experience placements in a variety of settings including emergency ambulances and rapid response vehicles, usually over a consolidated period of time which may span from four weeks in your first term to three months later in the course.
- Scottish Higher
- UCAS Tariff
- Extended Project
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
112 - 120 tariff points from Scottish Highers, including 40 points in a required subject.
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Bournemouth University courses are industry-informed and relevant: the university offers invaluable work placement opportunities to every student, as well as overseas exchanges. Combined with a beautiful coastal location and commitment to ensuring its learning and social spaces are modern and attractive, BU has something to offer everyone.