The Contemporary History BA is run in partnership with the Department of Politics and International Relations and is designed to emphasise the history of the recent past and integrate it with contemporary politics and international relations. The degree is aimed at students whose main interests lie in modern history and the contemporary world, allowing you to concentrate on a focused chronological period, with modules covering a broad geographical range. You will learn about the various factors, particularly political factors that shape historical events and our understanding of them. An appreciation of international relations is vital for analysing the fluctuating relationships that countries share with one another, either directly or through international bodies such as the UN. The topical nature of this course will not only help you understand the past but also prepare you to construct informed arguments about events that are unfolding today.
The School offers several practical or placement modules so that you can gain hands-on experience in your chosen career path. For instance, our 'History in the Classroom' module includes practical teaching experience by incorporating a placement in a local school. The School routinely develops paid internship opportunities for our students to gain additional, relevant work experience during their degrees. Roles such as research assistant, conference organiser, and editorial assistant have been offered in recent years.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Extended Project
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Grades / Points
We prefer A-Level History, though this is not essential.
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
The University of Leicester is a leading university committed to international excellence, world-changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. A research-intensive university, academic staff are breaking new ground and setting new directions aimed at making the UK and the world a better place. Consistently ranked among the world's top 250 universities (QS World University Rankings), Leicester's staff and students are drawn from around the globe.