Conservatoire for Dance and Drama
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The Conservatoire for Dance and Drama comprises eight specialist schools of the performing arts, based in London, Bristol and Leeds. The institutions are: Bristol Old Vic Theatre, Central School of Ballet, London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), London Contemporary Dance School, National Centre for Circus Arts, Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance, and Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 86%
- Postgraduate 14%
Mode of study
- Full Time 91%
- Part Time 9%
Where students come from
- UK 67%
- EU 12%
- Other 21%
- Male 34%
- Female 66%
Student Services and Facilities
- All eight of the institutions that form The Conservatoire are based in large cities, and as such, part-time work in bars, shops and other workplaces is possible.
- Across all of the institutions that make up the Conservatoire, students can take advantage of the impressive industry links that are available, enabling graduates to enter careers such as acting, dancing and circus artistry.
- The conservatoire judges applicants based purely on their talent and potential.
- It is committed to supporting disabled students, and will do its best to develop their talent in a way that works best for the student.
- Formed in 2001 to coordinate a number of higher-level affiliated schools involved in the performing arts.
- As well as performance the schools of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama are engaged in research. A recent collaboration by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School into original stage practices used lighting by candlelight, training students and staff in the use of five flying candelabras; these were then used by Sam Wanamaker Playhouse Theatre at The Globe in London.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Alan Rickman (RADA)
- Anthony Hopkins (RADA)
- Benedict Cumberbatch (LAMDA)
- Daniel Day-Lewis (BOVTS)
- Gemma Arterton (RADA)
- Olivia Colman (BOVTS)
- Patrick Stewart (BOVTS)
- Tom Hiddleston (RADA)
Conservatoire for Dance and Drama, Tavistock House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9EU