Guide to Studying Business & Management Studies
What is Business & Management Studies?
- A Business & Management Studies degree is concerned with the way in which a company or organisation operates and functions
- This can include the financial, administrative and marketing sides of a business.
- There are a few courses which fall under Business & Management Studies, such as Management Studies, Human Resource Management & Business Studies.
Why study Business & Management Studies?
- You should study a Business & Management Studies degree if you want to gain a deep understanding of how organisations function as one unified force of business.
- Studying a Business & Management Studies degree gives you great employability, reflected in the Graduate Prospects scores shown on our Subject League Table for this discipline.
- By studying Business & Management Studies you can accrue a broad set of skills which leave career choices wide open. Extrapolatable skills like leadership, financial awareness, team work and computing are all extremely valuable to any job.
- Check out our article 'Eight reasons to Study Business & Management Studies' for further reasons to embark on this degree.
Coursework, Assessment & Exams
- At most institutions assessment will be a mixture of exams, coursework, presentations, group and solo work, essays and seminar performance.
- Exams are usually sat in January and May/June, at the end of each Teaching block.
- Many institutions also encourage students to undertake work experience at some point during their degree, in order to provide vocational experience.
What degree can I get?
- BA Hons Business Studies
- BA Hons Management Studies
- Business & Management Studies is a degree which is almost always studied in tandem with another subject.
- Accounting & Management, Accounting & Business, Business & Languages, Disaster Management are just a small sample of how broad this discipline can be.
What qualifications do I need?
- Always check with your chosen institution to make sure of their entry standards.
Use our CUG course Chooser to filter your search results when looking for Business & Management Studies courses.
What are the postgraduate opportunities?
Search our postgraduate Business & Management Studies course on the new course chooser.
These postgrad courses increase employability by developing previously learned skills to an even higher standard.
*Professional employment refers to a job or occupation which normally requires a degree.
**Non-professional employment refers to a job or occupation which doesn't normally require a degree.
What are the job opportunities?
- Business & Management Studies graduates earn above the average graduate starting salary.
- Typical career paths include Management Consultancy, Human Resource management, Marketing, Insurance companies.
- These are competitive areas of work, and so hard work is required to ensure a high return.