Film is an important part of any country’s culture, and this Modern Languages with Film Studies BA gives you a fantastic opportunity to achieve maximum fluency in the language or languages of your choice, while building a firm grounding in film, film culture and critical approaches to film. One third of your course will be dedicated to film studies, while the remaining two thirds will be spent studying one or two languages from French, Italian and Spanish. You can study either one or two languages over the course of this degree. If you study two languages, you can choose to take one of them at beginners' level. When you study a language at beginners' level you will receive an intensive language course which brings you up to post-GCSE standard within a year. Your study of film will teach you to analyse film and the visual arts. You will gain an understanding of, not only how directors and producers approach their work, but how critics and other audiences consume film and give voice to their opinions. No prior knowledge of Film Studies is required for this course.
Developing your foreign language skills gives you a powerful advantage in business and opens up a wide and exciting range of careers. You will be able to immerse yourself in a rich culture of learning-led experience in a supportive and tailored learning environment, and you will be supported by our team of personal tutors to help you make the best of your time here. You will study abroad for a year, where you can live as a student or work as a teaching assistant, with tutors on hand to help throughout the year. We have links with several universities in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Canada and Latin America. Alternatively, you can take up an approved work placement. Here in Modern Languages at Leicester we offer a rich and diverse learning experience, with great facilities, knowledgeable staffs who are experts in their fields, and a unique chance to study abroad and build your international communication skills.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Extended Project
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Grades / Points
Including French or Spanish or Italian.
About this University
The University of Leicester is a leading university committed to international excellence, world-changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. A research-intensive university, academic staff are breaking new ground and setting new directions aimed at making the UK and the world a better place. Consistently ranked among the world's top 250 universities (QS World University Rankings), Leicester's staff and students are drawn from around the globe.