Select your preferred course from the options available below.
- Full-time | Main Site | 3 Years | 21-SEP-20
- Sandwich | Main Site | 4 Years | 21-SEP-20
On this course you will be taught by a range of staff with relevant expertise and knowledge appropriate to the content of the unit. This will include senior academic staff, qualified professional practitioners, demonstrators, technicians and research students. You will also benefit from regular guest lectures from industry. Throughout your degree, you will learn the essential theoretical framework and hone your practical skills by producing copy, bulletins and broadcast packages in newsrooms and digital studios, which replicate professional working environments. This includes being taught the importance of originality and being introduced to innovative storytelling techniques.
The 24-hour news cycle has changed the way that journalists work and report. This course prepares you for a job in this field, where you're expected to work across a range of channels and using a variety of mediums. Students who take all the exams will graduate with an NCTJ Diploma in Journalism and the students who achieve A–C and 100 words per minute in shorthand will graduate with a Gold Standard NCTJ Diploma. This widely recognised professional qualification can radically enhance your credibility and employability as a practising journalist. The benefits to you as a placement student are many. You will have the chance to: Put the theory learnt throughout the course into professional practice; Enhance your study and help you decide on subject options (where appropriate); Learn a wide range of skills such as time management, problem solving and team work (all of these are important to succeed in any career).
- Scottish Higher
- UCAS Tariff
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Extended Project
- Access to HE Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
104 - 120 UCAS tariff points from a minimum of four Scottish Highers.
About this University
Bournemouth University courses are industry-informed and relevant: the university offers invaluable work placement opportunities to every student, as well as overseas exchanges. Combined with a beautiful coastal location and commitment to ensuring its learning and social spaces are modern and attractive, BU has something to offer everyone.