Mathematics graduates, who are used to computing and to analytical and structured thinking and who have a high level of competence in problem solving skills are in considerable demand in a wide variety of areas of employment. This degree programme will provide you with both mathematical knowledge and these skills, while at the same time allowing you to pursue your own interests within mathematics. On the BSc in Mathematics at the University of Southampton you will develop your skills in analytical, abstract and structured thinking in a programme that covers the full range of mathematics from modern cryptography to the modelling of black holes. Our programme, taught by world-class researchers, will give you a structured foundation of algebra, calculus, number theory, statistics and mathematical modelling. You will acquire skills and knowledge from an exceptionally broad range of topics covering Pure and Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research, shaping your programme to fit your interests and ambitions.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Extended Project
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Access to HE Diploma
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
Grades / Points
Typical Offer: AAA or AABB including Mathematics (minimum grade A)EPQ Offer: AAB or ABBB to include grade A in the EPQ, and including Mathematics (minimum grade A) Contextual Offer: AAB including Mathematics (minimum grade A)Offers typically exclude General Studies and Critical Thinking. If an additional Mathematics qualification (STEP grade 2/MAT/TMUA) is taken alongside three A-levels then the offer will be AAB including Mathematics (minimum grade A). We accept any of the three STEP papers. For more details about the STEP and TMUA papers see the Admissions Testing Service Website.
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
The University of Southampton dates back to 1862: located on the south coast of England, it is close to the New Forest and the Isle of Wight. The main campus is north of the city centre, near to a large managed woodland. There are excellent road, rail, sea and air links and London is just over an hour away by train.
Main Site - Highfield Campus