/

Economics with Economic History BSc (Hons)

London School of Economics and Political Science

Key information

Data source: UCAS & IDP CONNECT

  • UCAS Course Code

    L1V3

  • Study mode

    Full-time

  • University Ranking

    4th

    1
  • Subject Ranking

    8th

    1 (History)
  • Entry Standards

    The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.

    Read more

    181

  • Graduate Prospects

    A guide to the success of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.

    Read more

    80

    / 100
  • Student Satisfaction

    A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.

    Read more

    3.81

    / 5.00
  • Qualification

    BSc (Hons)

  • Application deadline

    15-Jan

    Read more: Applying to university

  • Start date

    SEP-20

Course Summary

This course is concerned with economic change in the past. It uses concepts and theories from across the social sciences to examine important global issues such as the economic and social effects of wars, the importance of education and human capital in economic change, and the history of economic development in the third world. Meanwhile, economics takes an open-minded and scientific approach to consider broad-ranging real world issues, from barriers to economic development to international financial crises. It considers questions such as why, as economies grow richer, are people often not any happier. This programme combines the two complementary fields of economic history and economics in a major/minor format, with around 75 per cent of this programme in economics, and the remaining 25 per cent in economic history. This degree provides an excellent preparation for a range of careers, but we particularly welcome students who want to learn about economics, rather than simply prepare them for a prosperous future. Over the past two decades many of our graduates have chosen to pursue careers in the financial sector, which can include positions involving economics research as well as those in banking or hedge funds. Increasingly, many have also preferred to take up positions as economic or management consultants, to join central banks, their home country’s government economic service or international organisations. Some graduates from the programme pursue quite different careers, whether as professional accountants and auditors, engaging in entrepreneurial activity, marketing or law, or in entirely different fields. A significant number choose to go on to graduate study, not just in economics but also in finance, management, development, economic history and other fields. Throughout their time at LSE we work to prepare our students who are aiming in this direction to understand the rewards of engaging in economics research and the benefits of interacting with faculty and visitors who are leading economists.

Entry Requirements

Choose qualification

A level
  • A level
  • International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme

Grades / Points

A*AA

Details

Grade A* at A Level Maths is required. Further Maths is desirable, either as a full A Level or a 4th AS Level.

Tuition Fees

This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.

£9,250 per year

country flag Students from England

These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England

University information

About this University

The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is consistently ranked one of the foremost social science universities in the world. With an international intake and reach, global engagement is at the heart of LSE's teaching and research mission for its students and staff. From a well-connected central London campus, LSE runs one of the world's most extensive and distinguished university public lecture series.

Address

Main Site

Houghton Street

London

WC2A 2AE

UNITED KINGDOM