This degree is designed for creative and technically minded people with a desire to become a key part of the games industry, this degree is designed to make you work-ready, teaching you game concept and asset creation, game prototyping, and production and leadership skills.
As a student on this programme, you will:
- Work alongside artists, programmers and audio specialists in small development teams to design and develop computer games
- Study the historical context and fundamentals of game design, interaction and narrative theory
- Develop professional skills in level design, concept development, project management and entrepreneurship
- Learn how interactive entertainment products are designed, developed and marketed
You’ll be encouraged to work creatively and professionally as a game designer, communicating concepts through prototypes, game assets, documentation and presentations, in addition to honing your communication and management skills through multidisciplinary projects.
Learning and Assessment
A large part of the course revolves around making games and building a portfolio that demonstrates your skills and specific area of creative practice.
You’ll spend around 15 hours per week in lectures, tutorials and practical activities, with the remainder of your time spent in self-directed learning.
Lectures, tutorials and practical activities increase your understanding of game design and production, and allow you to develop competencies in technological, theoretical and collaborative work.
During first and second year, your work will mostly be assessed through practical coursework, presentations and reflective essays.
In later years, taught module assessment is by a mixture of critical essays and coursework. Project modules are assessed through the submission of conceptual work, design solutions, interactive media products and project reports.
The final year dissertation and project allows you to focus on a specific topic within design and production, and develop a specialist area of expertise.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish HND
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Scottish HNC
- HND (BTEC)
- HNC (BTEC)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Grades / Points
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Abertay is a small, modern university based in the centre of Dundee. It is an ambitious, forward-thinking institution which offers degree programmes to prepare students for jobs of the modern world. Graduates go on to work for organisations including Apple, Google, BBC, Rockstar, Microsoft, Barclays Bank, and Coca Cola, as well as the NHS and government departments.