This intensive year of study includes both theoretical and practical activities and attracts highly motivated students who want to make a change of direction in their studies. Successful completion of the Foundation Year can lead you to a place on any one of 17 different integrated undergraduate degree disciplines. Our students acquire knowledge and understanding through a combination of lectures, tutorials, laboratory experiments, coursework and individual and group assignments. You will develop the transferable skills for degree success. You will be assessed through unseen written exams, short tests, assessed coursework in the form of laboratory log books and reports, problems and other set assignments.
Successfully completing the Foundation Year gives you guaranteed entry to the majority of our engineering, physics, maths and geophysics courses. Our engineering courses carry professional accreditation and offer excellent career prospects. Graduates who have entered our degrees through the Foundation Year have progressed to a variety of exciting engineering, science and technology roles in the private and public sectors, as well as to self employment and consultancy, both in the UK and overseas.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- GCSE/National 4/National 5
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Extended Diploma (QCF)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF)
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (720 glh)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
Grades / Points
If you have not taken the correct A-Level subjects required for direct entry (i.e. mathematics and normally a second required subject e.g. physics) then you will usually need a Foundation Year. Please refer to our website for further details. We are committed to ensuring that all students with the potential to succeed, regardless of their background, are encouraged to apply to study with us. The additional information gained through contextual data allows us to recognise a student’s potential to succeed in the context of their background and experience.Students who are highlighted in this way will receive additional scrutiny during confirmation of results
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
The University of Southampton dates back to 1862: located on the south coast of England, it is close to the New Forest and the Isle of Wight. The main campus is north of the city centre, near to a large managed woodland. There are excellent road, rail, sea and air links and London is just over an hour away by train.
Main Site - Highfield Campus