This specially designed course enables you to make an informed choice about which visual arts subject you wish to study at degree level, giving successful students the opportunity for guaranteed progression onto a named BA programme at Middlesex University. At the end of your foundation year, you will have developed a strong portfolio that will showcase your work and reflect your future professional direction. Successful completion of the foundation year guarantees entry onto your chosen visual arts degree.
Our four BA Fine Art degree pathways embrace fine art as an open discipline constructed from many different studio practices and a critical involvement with ideas, culture and society. You will explore a range of artistic practices (including installation, performance, painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography, digital arts, film and video) through making, research and critique. Our suite of BA degrees opens the door to a wide range of creative and professional possibilities.
Why study BA Fine Art at Middlesex University?
At Middlesex we have the facilities and the expertise to enhance your exploration of all kinds of art, from traditional forms like painting and sculpture to more contemporary approaches including digital arts, installation, and socially engaged practices. We place an emphasis on learning about art practice, history and theory through studio-based teaching and you will benefit from having an individual tutor as well as being part of a small, friendly peer group.
As a student, you will have the freedom to work independently within the tutorial framework so that you can develop self-discipline, experience of making and showing your work, and critical skills. This approach often leads to student-led collaborations, which contribute to the collective ethos of the course. Initiatives have included a range of exhibitions and events, and many collaborative groups have continued professionally beyond Middlesex.
- Our outstanding facilities in The Grove, our specialist building for art, design, media and performing arts, are among the best in the country
- You are taught by practicing artists who exhibit and sell their work globally and work across a wide range of media including photography, painting, film, installation, sound and interactive art
- At the end of Level 5 (year 2) you have the option of our distinct pathways (BA Fine Art; BA Fine Art Social Practice; BA Fine Art Multimedia Practice; BA Fine Art Critical Practice), which reflect and benefit from particular areas of staff expertise and achievement.
- A regular Fine Art lecture series from visiting artists and curators provides insight into professional experience
- At the end of your degree you will exhibit your work at our Degree Show, a great opportunity to showcase your talents to the creative industry
- A flexible part-time study option and supportive staff mean it's easy to balance your studies with other commitments
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
How can the BA Fine Art support your career?
Our Fine Art graduates are able to think strategically, work flexibly, be highly organised and use their initiative, as well as having excellent written and verbal communication skills so they are highly employable in a broad range of careers. Many students will also have undertaken internships or placements in their chosen fields.
- UCAS Tariff
- Access to HE Diploma
Grades / Points
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Middlesex University has a personalised approach to learning and teaching, supporting students to develop skills for their future and get ready for success in a changing world. Students develop advanced skills through making, doing and experience at its single-site campus in north London, which offers industry-standard facilities and excellent connections with employers. The university has a reputation for diversity, and includes everyone equally in its community.