Southampton Solent’s digital arts foundation year covers key subjects such as animation, game development and modelling, and will help equip you with the knowledge and confidence to make informed decisions about your future direction. The learning path is designed to seamlessly integrate with our related degree courses and offers flexible learning experiences in the field of digital media. Successful completion of the programme will grant direct access on to one of our related industry-focused undergraduate degrees. You will be taught by passionate staff who are experts in their fields, with a wealth of real-world experience and knowledge. During your studies you’ll be supported in developing your game production, business and entrepreneurial skills, as well as working with coders and artists in the Video Games Academy. To aid study, you’ll have full access to Solent’s industry-standard facilities, including specialist labs, high-end dual screen computers equipped with industry software such as Autodesk, Adobe and Pixologic, and graphics tablets. You’ll also have access to a motion capture studio and lounge equipped with consoles and life drawing studio.
Building upon classical art training, creative problem solving and ideas generation, this course offers an industry-oriented exploration of all the core VFX disciplines. You’ll work in a variety of media, experiencing 2D and 3D tools, as well as live-action film equipment and green screen to help realise your concepts and products to industry formats and standards. The course has close links with our existing computer generated imagery programmes, and during your first year you’ll work alongside other students within this group as you learn key skills in digital tools, critical theory and observation, alongside core specialised VFX units, such as advanced 3D techniques. In keeping with the portfolio-focus of the VFX-industry, you’ll gain a broad foundation in VFX which will become more individualised and specialised as you progress through the course, finishing with the opportunity to demonstrate your professional skills by designing and producing an extensive self-directed VFX project. To aid employability, you’ll also be coached and prepared as an active freelance artist, enabling you to begin engaging with clients and other industry professionals before graduation.
- A level
- UCAS Tariff
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (540 glh)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (720 glh)
- Extended Project
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (1080 glh)
- AQA Level 3 (Foundation) Technical Level (360 glh)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
Grades / Points
From a minimum of two completed A levels.
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Situated in a lively city centre destination, Solent University is a dynamic and ambitious international university, spanning business and law, the creative industries, engineering and technology, maritime, media, sport and tourism. The university has invested extensively in facilities and buildings, due for completion in 2019. It is also home to one of the world's leading maritime training academies.
East Park Terrace