This course provides all the creative, technical and study skills needed for entry onto a degree-level art, design or fashion course. Upon completion, you will be able to progress onto a range of art-, design- and fashion- related courses here at Southampton Solent. The course begins with a five-week group project. This enables students to mix with like-minded peers and helps them to settle in quickly. This project also helps students to decide which area they might like to follow at a later stage. The following ten weeks are spent introducing students to the world of art, design and fashion. This includes design history, vocabulary, methods and academic foundation. This ten-week block will also give students the opportunity to learn and apply two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualisation techniques, giving them the tools required to conduct their final project. This final project takes place in the last fifteen weeks of the course and is based around the specific discipline that the student will go on to study. The project will be supported by tuition in visual presentation techniques, enabling students to communicate their concepts, development processes and final proposals. Students will also receive instruction in verbal communication and presentation techniques, increasing their confidence in pitching design ideas.
On this innovative course you can turn your stories and creative concepts into narrative art by exploring the art of illustration and visual communication in children’s and adult’s narrative, together with editorial and journalistic illustration. In dedicated studio space at our Below Bar campus, you’ll study a variety of units such as concepts and themes, visual language, critical discourse, editorial, fairytale and folklore and contemporary art critique, with options to specialise in your preferred area. You’ll also propose, plan and produce a body of work that will draw together your technical and conceptual skills and demonstrate competence in studio protocols and proficiency in applying methods, materials and technologies. This innovative degree explores the art of illustration and visual communication in children’s and adult’s narrative, together with editorial and journalistic illustration. Students are encouraged to experiment and develop their own voice in an environment where they will feel free to take risks and be ambitious in developing their personal approach to visual art as either a practitioner or critic and theorist. To underpin creativity and encourage understanding of transferable skills and management of learning, emphasis is placed on gaining hands-on practice, from working in the print room to drawing on the streets, and working on projects and case studies to gain experience of working on live briefs.
- A level
- UCAS Tariff
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (540 glh)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (720 glh)
- Extended Project
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (1080 glh)
- AQA Level 3 (Foundation) Technical Level (360 glh)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
Grades / Points
From a minimum of two A levels
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Situated in a lively city centre destination, Solent University is a dynamic and ambitious international university, spanning business and law, the creative industries, engineering and technology, maritime, media, sport and tourism. The university has invested extensively in facilities and buildings, due for completion in 2019. It is also home to one of the world's leading maritime training academies.
East Park Terrace