The role exercise and nutrition science plays in healthy ageing and disease reduction has become a focus for national health policy in recent times. Our BSc (Hons) Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science programme seeks to respond to this trend and meet the industry’s need for highly-trained graduates with skills in clinical exercise rehabilitation, nutrition, psychology and health promotion. As you train to bridge the gap between the medical profession and the fitness industry you will be introduced to the pathology of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and other common medical conditions. By studying how lifestyle and nutrition can impact on these diseases you’ll be well placed to assist patients as they work to control their symptoms or rehabilitate. Learning is reinforced through work with genuine patients. Our unique clinical exercise referral scheme and longstanding relationships with local health organisations enable us to provide you with work placements that are relevant to both your learning and your career goals. Our teaching staff sit on various steering groups including MacMillan, the Saints Foundation, Southampton Diabetes Forum and NHS exercise referral schemes. You will also benefit from in-house opportunities through our own health promotion service, Solent Health and the Solent Community Innovation Programme (CIP) .
Built-in professional accreditations and training allows you to gain even more value from your studies. Available qualifications include REPs L2 Gym, REPs L3 Exercise Referral, REPs L4 Cancer Rehabilitation, Working With Older Adults certification, Association for Nutrition certification, the NHS M.E.C.C qualification, Royal Society for Public Health membership and NHS Motivational Interviewing training. You can also tailor your degree studies to your personal career ambitions, choosing from a range of specialist optional units. Throughout your degree you will have access to a range of professional facilities. Key facilities include our BASES accredited exercise physiology laboratory, the new ‘Spark’ teaching block, purpose-built teaching gyms, a 24-hour library service and a variety of sports facilities including our brand new health and fitness centre (due for completion in 2018). Our academic team are all highly experienced within the industry. As a result, all additional qualifications are written and embedded into the units by them. You'll be taught by the same academics throughout your degree.
- A level
- UCAS Tariff
- Extended Project
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Access to HE Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
Grades / Points
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Situated in a lively city centre destination, Solent University is a dynamic and ambitious international university, spanning business and law, the creative industries, engineering and technology, maritime, media, sport and tourism. The university has invested extensively in facilities and buildings, due for completion in 2019. It is also home to one of the world's leading maritime training academies.
East Park Terrace