Fitness and Personal Training with Placement and Sport, Health and Exercise Foundation Year BSc (Hons)
This course is also ideal for students who may not have traditional qualifications or who have been away from formal education for a while, by helping them to get back into academic study and equip them with the specialised knowledge to progress to an undergraduate degree. Students study the fundamentals of sport health and exercise therapy through a variety of themes, including leadership, fitness foundations, the sport industry, sport and exercise science contemporary sports issues, and volunteering. All of the University’s sports courses place a strong emphasis on employability, and students on the sport health and exercise science foundation year have the opportunity to build practical skills and gain valuable real-world experience working with our degree students by volunteering on local community projects. Successful completion of the sport, health and exercise science foundation year will provide a pathway on to one of Solent University’s highly-regarded health and exercise or sport science degree programmes.
This practical, career-focused course combines the latest in evidence-based training methods with high-level industry qualifications. Clearly defined pathway options in one of three specialist areas – exercise referral, soft tissue therapy and strength and conditioning - are aimed at producing fitness professionals with the higher level skills required to positively impact peoples’ lives, whatever their fitness goals. Gaining real-world experience is integral to the course. Through the Solent PT scheme, students work with a member of the University’s staff for 15 weeks in their second year, putting together a personal training programme and working with them to achieve their fitness goals. This is repeated in the final year, where students work with two clients – one will have different goals to their previous client, and the other has to be recruited by the student through their own marketing initiative. Students have the opportunity to complete their gym instructor and personal trainer industry-approved qualifications in their first year, and an advanced personal trainer qualification in their second year. In addition, students have the opportunity to pursue further qualifications in strength and conditioning, soft tissue therapy, or cancer rehabilitation. Students have access to the University’s purpose-built teaching gym and use industry-standard equipment for the practical elements of their course. Physiology, biomechanics and psychology laboratories are also available for student use.
- A level
- UCAS Tariff
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (540 glh)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (720 glh)
- Extended Project
- OCR Cambridge Technical Certificate
- OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Foundation Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
- OCR Cambridge Technical Subsidiary Diploma
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- AQA Level 3 Technical Level (1080 glh)
- AQA Level 3 (Foundation) Technical Level (360 glh)
- OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
Grades / Points
A minimum of two completed A-levels.
This section explains how much you will need to pay in tuition fees to study this course at this university. Fees vary by country of residence so make sure you select which country of residence applies to you.
£9,250 per year
These are the tuition fees you pay if you are resident in England
About this University
Situated in a lively city centre destination, Solent University is a dynamic and ambitious international university, spanning business and law, the creative industries, engineering and technology, maritime, media, sport and tourism. The university has invested extensively in facilities and buildings, due for completion in 2019. It is also home to one of the world's leading maritime training academies.
East Park Terrace