The Film Studies BA provides you with the necessary skills to critically analyse film. You will gain an understanding of how directors and producers approach their work, how critics and other audiences consume film and give voice to their opinions, and of the place of cinema within different social, cultural, historical and industrial contexts.
Your first year is designed to equip you with the key skills and concepts to study film as an art form. During your second year you will work in groups to create your own short film, using your firm grounding in film theory to guide your direction and production. You will also augment your focus on film through modules in which you study television and in which you will work with other students in the School of Arts mastering key critical concepts. Our students have gone on to a range of careers, including film preservation and curating, teaching and other creative aspects of the film and media industries. The range of skills offered by this course also provides a foundation for careers in film journalism and other cultural management positions.
- A level
- Scottish Higher
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Extended Project
- Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
- Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)
- Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal
- Access to HE Diploma
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Grades / Points
About this University
The University of Leicester is a leading university committed to international excellence, world-changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. A research-intensive university, academic staff are breaking new ground and setting new directions aimed at making the UK and the world a better place. Consistently ranked among the world's top 250 universities (QS World University Rankings), Leicester's staff and students are drawn from around the globe.